Food Costs Bonus
What is it?
The Food Costs Bonus is an annual payment to help households that are just above the Income Support level with the cost of GST on food. In 2014 the payment will be £226.95.
The Food Costs Bonus will be provided in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Only one Food Costs Bonus may be claimed per household and applications will be accepted in October each year.
What is a household?
A household is defined in the same way as it is for Income Support purposes. A household can be any of the following:
- a person living alone
- a couple (married or unmarried)
- a family living together at the same address with children under school leaving age or still in full time education or job-seeking
Who can claim?
A household can claim where
- at least one adult member has been resident in Jersey for the last five years and;
- no-one in the household is liable to pay Income Tax for the previous year and;
- no member of the household,during the seven days before the application is made, has been in receipt of Income Support
A household may still claim if they received an Income Support payment which was a transitional payment or special payment.
Cold Weather Bonus
What is it?
The Cold Weather Bonus is designed to help pensioner households with the cost of heating during the winter months. Only one Cold Weather Bonus may be claimed per household.
The Cold Weather Bonus is paid in two instalments: once in January for the months of October to December, and then again in May for the months January to April.
The value of the bonus depends on the temperature in the previous period. The table below will be updated a few days after the end of each month to show the amount for the cold weather month:
|| £29.11 |
Maximum CWB Payment in January 2014
Maximum CWB Payment in May 2014
Who can claim?
To claim the Cold Weather Bonus you must be eligible for the Food Costs Bonus. In addition there are three more requirements to receive the Cold Weather Bonus:
- on the first day of the cold weather month, your household must include an adult who is 65 or above and is receiving a Jersey old age pension
- you or your spouse/partner must either own your home or be responsible for a lease - people paying for board or lodgings only will not qualify for the bonus
- no adult in the household should have received a cold weather payment from Income Support for the cold weather month
If you satisfy these conditions for only some of the months covered by the bonus, you will be able to claim a lower amount based on the months that you are eligible for.
How do I apply?
In July 2013 a joint Food Costs Bonus and Cold Weather Bonus application form was sent to everyone that received the Food Costs Bonus in 2012.
If you did not receive a 2012 Food Costs Bonus but would like to apply for 2013, please download the application form below, complete it and return it to the Social Security Department.
Download the Joint Food Costs Bonus and Cold Weather Bonus application form (size 120kb)
Download the Draft Food Costs Bonus (Jersey) Regulations 201- (size 116kb)
Download the Draft Cold Weather Bonus (Jersey) Regulations 201- (size 87kb)