Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Knowledge of Language and Life for Naturalisation as a British Citizen

There are two parts to the Knowledge of Language and Life (KOLL) requirement, both of which you must meet to naturalise as a British citizen, unless you are exempt (*). You will be required to pass the Life in the UK Test (known in Jersey as the Citizenship Test) and meet the language requirement. 

(*) Exemptions include applicants who are under the age of 18 or aged 65 or over or whose mental health or physical condition means that it is unreasonable to expect them to fulfil this requirement.

Citizenship Test

You must pass the Life in the UK Test.

This Test is available at Highlands College in Jersey; bookings are made directly through the Examinations Department at the college.

Life in the UK test website

Highlands College website

English language requirement

You will meet the English language requirement in one of the following ways: 

  • hold an English language qualification at B1 or above approved by the Home Office
  • have passed the Entry Level 3 of English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) held at Highlands College for naturalisation purposes (Please note Highlands College regularly runs other English language courses for immigration purposes. Care must be taken by applicants for naturalisation to enrol on the correct course.)
  • be a national of a majority English speaking country (Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, USA)
  • hold a degree taught in the UK or a majority English speaking  country (excluding Canada)
  • have obtained a foreign academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) deemed by the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) for the UK to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, which was taught or researched in English 

List of recognised English language tests and awarding bodies on the Home Office website

Applicants who already hold English language qualifications are advised to contact the Casework section for confirmation of acceptability for naturalisation purposes. Contact Immigration for more information on +44 (0) 1534 447979. 

Email Immigration

How useful did you find this information?