Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Civil or non-religious marriages


It can take a minimum of two clear weeks to make legal arrangements for a civil marriage and at least two months if you do not live in Jersey.

What is a civil marriage?

 In Jersey, a civil marriage:
  • is conducted by the States of Jersey Superintendent Registrar or one of her deputies or delegates
  • can only be conducted in approved venues - the Register Office or an approved premises
  • cannot be performed in the open air
  • is not a religious ceremony and therefore must have no religious content (no religious music or readings and no words drawn from the Anglican marriage service)
  • can only take place between a heterosexual couple, both of whom are free to marry - same sex couples can enter into a civil partnership

Civil partnerships

Organising your civil marriage

If you do not live in Jersey, even if you were born here, you will need to arrange your marriage by mail.

Arrange a venue

Arrange the venue, and set the ceremony date and time. If you're planning to get married on a Saturday during the months of May to September, you should check with the Superintendent Registrar before fixing the time with the venue.

A civil marriage can only be performed:

  • at the Register Office
  • at venues officially approved by the Connétable of the relevant parish - these can include a private home if approved by the Connétable of the parish
Marriages may only take place between 8am and 7pm and at the discretion of the management of the venue.  Bookings for marriages at the Register Office are made at half-hourly intervals.  They are usually conducted between 11am and 1pm in the week but it's possible to get married at a later time on Saturday afternoons at the discretion of the Superintendent Registrar.  It's not possible to be married at the Register Office on Sundays and public holidays.
Download the list of approved premises in Jersey for civil weddings (size 9kb)

Book your wedding in the Register Office diary

You can book your wedding up to a year in advance.  To book your wedding you need to go to the Register Office and take the following with you:

  • date, time and location of your wedding
  • your and your partner’s full birth certificates - these include your parents’ names
  • your divorce Decree Absolute / dissolution of civil partnership (if you've been married or in a civil  partnership previously)
  • death certificate of your late spouse / civil partner (if you have been widowed)
  • support documentation if you have changed your name by deed poll or statutory declaration
The documents must be originals or certified copies issued by a Register Office or court.  Photocopies, scans or laminated certificates are not accepted. 
All documents in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by an officially-certified English translation.  The Superintendent Registrar will need both the original document and the translation.  If you're not a British citizen or a citizen of a country which is a member state of the EEA, you need to check with the Jersey Customs and Immigration Service about your visa status before you go to the Register Office.
Once your appointment has been made the Superintendent Registrar will issue you with a marriage appointment slip and ask you to contact the registrar of the parish in which you will marry, unless the wedding is in St Helier. 

Give notice that you intend to marry

Giving notice is the first legal stage of arranging your civil wedding. The maximum period of notice is three months and the minimum is two clear weeks. If your wedding is only a few weeks away, it is likely you will give notice at the same time as making the appointment.

In order to give notice you must:
  • go to the Register Office in person - only one of the parties is needed
  • take the appointment slip given to you by the Register Office when you made the booking plus any other documentation you were instructed to take
  • pay the fee of £65

You will be entered into the Announcements of Marriage book, and your names publicly displayed in the Register Office.

 ‘Giving notice’ is the civil marriage equivalent of the banns being read in the Anglican Church.

Collect your marriage licence

The maximum period of time before the wedding that your marriage licence can be issued is two weeks and the minimum is two working days.  At least seven days of the notice period must have expired before you can collect your licence.

In order to collect your licence you must:
  • go to the Register Office in person - only one of the parties is needed
  • pay the fee quoted on the marriage appointment slip
  • take the appointment slip given to you by the Register Office when you made the booking plus any other documentation you were instructed to take
The usual period of time for the licence to be issued is three working days.

Meet the registrar

On the day on which your marriage licence is issued to you, you need to meet with the registrar of the parish in which your wedding is taking place in order to give them your marriage licence. 

You need to:
  • make a prior arrangement to meet him / her 
  • take your marriage licence together with all the papers handed over by the Superintendent Registrar 
  • pay £60 in cash, or £80 if you require two certificates (in St Helier you can also pay by cheque, but not by card)
The Parish Registrar will prepare all the documents to be signed at the wedding and deliver them to the person conducting your ceremony.  S/he will enter your wedding in the marriage register.

On your wedding day

Your marriage will be conducted by the Superintendent Registrar, her deputy or her delegate.  S/he will have received all the documentation  you will sign from the Parish Registrar. You will be presented with your marriage certificate(s) at the end of the ceremony.


How useful did you find this information?