Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Requirements for non EU / EEA nationals visiting Jersey

​Certain nationalities require visas regardless of the purpose of their stay in Jersey. You can find out if you need a visa by visiting the UK visas website.

If you are of a nationality that requires a visa to enter Jersey, you must apply for it before you travel. To obtain your visa, you should apply to the British Diplomatic Post in the country where you live.

'Do I need a visa?' on website

Visitor requirements for non EU / EEA nationals

There are certain requirements you need to meet in a number of different categories in order to enter Jersey. The most common categories for entering Jersey are as a:

  • general visitor
  • business visitor
  • visitor for the purpose of marriage

Detailed information on the requirements to be met by visitors to the Island can be found in the directions of the Lieutenant-Governor.

Download Immigration Rules 2014 (size 906kb)​

​Entry as a general visitor

As a visitor you must show that you:

  • are genuinely seeking entry as a general visitor for a limited period, as stated by you, not exceeding 6 months or not exceeding 12 months in the case of a person seeking entry to accompany an academic visitor, provided in the latter case, the visitor accompanying the academic visitor has an entry clearance
  • intend to leave the Bailiwick of Jersey at the end of the period of the visit as stated by you
  • do not intend to take employment in the Bailiwick of Jersey
  • do not intend to produce goods or provide services within the Bailiwick of Jersey, including the selling of goods or services direct to members of the public
  • do not intend to undertake a course of study
  • will maintain and accommodate yourself and any dependants adequately out of resources available to you without recourse to public funds or taking employment; or will, with any dependants, be maintained and accommodated adequately by relatives or friends
  • can meet the cost of the return or onward journey
  • are not a child under the age of 18
  • do not intend to do any of the activities provided for in paragraphs 57G (iii) 57M (iii) or 57S of the Directions of the Lieutenant-Governor
  • do not, during your visit, intend to marry, or to give notice of marriage
  • do not intend to receive private medical treatment during your visit
  • are not in transit to a country outside the common travel area

Entry as a business visitor

As a business visitor to Jersey, you must live and work abroad and have no intention of transferring your base to Jersey, even for a short period of time.

Entry as a visitor for the purpose of marriage

You will have to meet all of the requirements detailed for entry as a general visitor (see above). However, if you want to visit Jersey to get married, you will need to show that you:

  • hold a valid visa for entry in this capacity
  • intend to give notice of marriage, or marry, in the Bailiwick of Jersey within the period for which entry is sought
  • can produce satisfactory evidence, if required to do so, of the arrangements for giving notice of marriage, or for your wedding ceremony to take place, in the Bailiwick of Jersey during the period for which entry is sought

Civil partnerships

The Civil Partnership (Jersey) Law came into force in Jersey on 2 April 2012 and will allow same-sex couples to formalise their relationship with a civil ceremony. The Directions of the Lieutenant-Governor are currently being updated to show the immigration requirements a person must meet to either enter as a visitor for the purposes of entering into a civil partnership, or with a view to settlement in Jersey as a civil partner.

Anyone who intends to enter into a civil partnership with a non-British citizen or a non-European Economic Area (EEA) national should contact the Immigration Casework Section of the Customs and Immigration Service on +44 (0)1534 447979.​

Back to top
rating button