Theory test categories
There are four separate theory tests available which cover different types of vehicle:
The driving theory test you need to take depends on what vehicle category your provisional licence is for.
||Licence categories covered |
(also F, K, H)
|C: Large goods (lorries)
|D: Large passenger (buses / coaches)
How to book a driver theory test
You can book a test in two ways:
- at Driver and Vehicle Standards in person (bookings cannot be taken by phone)
- online, using a credit or debit card
When you book in person, you'll need to bring with you:
- your Jersey provisional licence
- the fee (£30.15) either
- in cash
- as a cheque payable to the Treasurer of the States
- by credit or debit card
Book your driving theory test online
On the day of your test
You take the test at Driver and Vehicle Standards (DVS). You should arrive at DVS reception at least 15 minutes before your test. You will not be allowed to take your test if you are late, and you will have to apply and pay again.
You must bring your provisional licence with you. You should check that the date is still valid and that it covers the correct category for the test you are taking.
The test is a multi-choice exam. You will use a touchscreen PC to answer.
There are 35 questions in the test. You must answer 30 out of 35 correctly to pass.
You will find out if you've passed immediately at the end of the test.
Preparing for the test
The following publications can help you to prepare for the driver theory test:
- the Jersey Highway Code (available free of charge from your parish hall)
- the Official Highway Code
- the Official Theory Test for Car Drivers
- the Official Theory Test for Motorcyclists
- the Official Theory Test for Drivers of Large Vehicles
Download Jersey Highway Code (size 372kb)
Your pass certificate does not expire. However, it will be cancelled if you are convicted of an offence that requires you to resit the prescribed driving test.
You will need it to book your practical driving test. Also, if you wish to sit another practical driving test within the same licence category, your pass certificate will exempt you from sitting another driving theory test.