Food Cost Bonus
What is it?
The Food Cost Bonus is an annual payment to help households that are just above the Income Support level with the cost of GST on food. In 2019, the payment is £226.95.
Only one Food Cost Bonus may be claimed per household and applications are accepted from October each year.
What is a household?
A household is defined in the same way as it is for Income Support purposes. A household can be any of the following:
- a person living alone
- a couple (married or unmarried)
- a family living together at the same address with children under school leaving age or still in full time education or job-seeking
Who can claim?
A household can claim where:
- at least one adult member has been resident in Jersey for the last 5 years and;
- no-one in the household is liable to pay Income Tax for the previous year and;
- no member of the household, during the 7 days before the application is made, has been in receipt of Income Support (but a household may still claim if they received an Income Support payment which was a transitional payment or special payment)
How to apply
You can apply for the food cost bonus and the cold weather bonus by completing our online form.
Apply for an food cost bonus and cold weather bonus
Cold Weather Bonus
What is it?
The Cold Weather Bonus is designed to help pensioner households with the cost of heating during the winter months. Only one Cold Weather Bonus can be claimed per household.
The Cold Weather Bonus is paid in two instalments: once in January for the months of October to December, and then again in May for the months January to April.
The value of the bonus depends on the temperature in the previous period. The tables below are updated a few days after the end of each month to show the amount for the cold weather month:
Who can claim?
To claim the Cold Weather Bonus, you must be eligible for the Food Cost Bonus. In addition there are three more requirements to receive the Cold Weather Bonus:
- on the first day of the cold weather month, your household must include an adult who is 65 or over and have reached pensionable age in Jersey and is either receiving a Jersey old age pension or has 10 years' continuous residency before making the application
- you or your spouse / partner must either own your home or be responsible for a lease (people paying for board or lodgings only won't qualify for the bonus)
- no adult in the household should have received a cold weather payment from Income Support for the cold weather month
If you meet these conditions for only some of the months covered by the bonus, you'll be able to claim a lower amount based on the months that you are eligible for.