Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

A basic guide to childcare

​Childcare options

Childcare can take place in a registered setting, eg a nursery or preschool, or in a home with a registered childminder. 

The provider must be registered if:

  • the carer is not a close relative
  • they look after your child for more than two hours
  • you pay for, or give a reward for, the service

Types of registered childcare

Babysitters, nannies and au pairs

If you employ a babysitter, nanny or au pair, they do not need to be a registered childcare provider.

Illegal childcare

The Law in full Day Care of Children (Jersey) Law 2002 on Jersey Law website

Registered childcare

Any person or setting that looks after your child and provides a professional service must be registered under the Day Care of Children (Jersey) Law 2002.

Applicants have to meet minimum standards before they can register and this helps make sure children are kept safe and healthy.

Registration has to be renewed every year and standards are checked by the Childcare & Early Years Service (CEYS) team, who keep a list of everyone successfully registered.

Finding childcare

A full list of childcare providers in Jersey is available from the Jersey Child Care Trust website. They  can advise you how to find the best person or childcare setting for your child and your family.

Parents usually sign a contract with their childcare provider and these will vary according to the organisation and type of service you choose.

Advice is also available from the Jersey Association of Child Carers website .

Back to top
rating button