Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Setting up a registered childcare centre

​​Requirements for registration

If you're considering setting up a registered childcare centre, you must get the right information and support to avoid unnecessary costs. This will help ensure you meet the requirements for registration and avoid delays in registration.

You should make sure you get a copy of the requirements for registration for the type of childcare centre you are planning on setting up:

  • preschool
  • day nursery
  • school-age care (playcare, activity club or wrap around care)

You can get a copy of the requirements and advice about what to do next by contacting the Child Care Registration Team.

Site visits and inspections

Once you have let us know your plans, we will arrange a visit to the premises you hope to use. This visit will include officers from other States departments.

The site visit will be organised by an officer from the Childcare and Early Years Service. It will take place before you start the registration process, because we need to assess whether your premises are suitable for use as a childcare centre.

Your premises will be assessed by:

  • a Fire and Rescue Service officer, to check if the structure of the building meets the appropriate fire safety regulations for accommodating children in the age group
  • a Health Protection officer, to check if structural requirements for health, hygiene, and serving food on the premises are required

After the site visit, we will contact you to let you know if we provisionally agree your application for registration. You should wait until you hear from us before you contact any other States departments, or have plans drawn up, to avoid any unnecessary costs.

Other departments you need to contact

Once you hear from us you may need to apply to all or some of the following:

  • Department of the Environment, if any changes to your premises or its type of use are needed
  • Regulation of Undertakings, to get approval to employ staff
  • Business Names and Company Registry, to register the name of your centre
  • Data Protection Registry, to check if you need to register the business

Avoiding delays

You should stay in regular contact with the Childcare and Early Years Service officer working with you during the process. This means you can get advice on staffing, equipping and planning your premises. It will also help to avoid delays in opening your centre once we carry out the final assessment for registration.​​​​

Back to top
rating button