The eco schools programme
Eco schools is an international award programme. All States of Jersey schools are involved in the scheme. Eco schools supports schools to engage young people in learning about:
- the environment
- sustainable development
- humanitarian issues
- how to demonstrate responsible practices
- inspire positive action for sustainability
Eco schools UK website
How eco schools can help schools
The programme has been designed to benefit the school by:
- enhancing the curriculum
- linking to the local community
- saving money through improved efficiency
- providing a structure to pupils and staff to work together to make a difference to the school
- giving age-appropriate responsibility to pupils
Schools carry out an annual environmental review. The review helps them set their actions for the year ahead so that they can continue to make improvements.
Support in Jersey for eco schools
Support is available for Jersey schools from the eco active school team.
This team is coordinated by the eco active programme manager.
Eco school meetings are held each term for eco teachers. These meeting are a forum to share ideas and experiences.
Competitions and campaigns also form some of the support work and are designed to meet with Eco Schools award criteria.
Email eco active school team