Reducing waste and why it's important
There are carbon emissions associated with everything you buy. The best thing you can do to reduce your carbon footprint is reduce the amount of things you buy and throw away.
For more information read about the NOT a load of rubbish campaign.
Carry out a waste audit
A waste audit can help businesses understand what waste they produce. The waste audit guide gives you the information and resources you’ll need to carry out your audit.
Carrying out a waste audit will:
- help the business understand how much waste it produces
- help understand the type of waste you can reduce or reuse and how much waste you separate for recycling
- help the business identify what is going well and what needs improving
- give the business information to measure improvements against
Use the following documents to help your business reduce its waste.
Guide to carrying out a waste audit
It's not a load of rubbish poster
Not in this bin poster
Running a waste audit campaign at your workplace
As part of your waste audit you can:
- watch eco active waste audit
- get business management on board
- carry out your audit
- record your findings. You can use our sample monitoring form.
- identify your improvements and create an action plan
- tell your colleagues about the audit and the improvements that will be made
Waste audit guidance instructions
Tips for reducing, reusing and recycling your waste are available.
To find out what can be recycled visit the recycling finder.
Plastic Free Jersey
Jersey has been certified by Surfers Against Sewage as a Plastic Free Community.
Visit Plastic Free Jersey to register a business or find out more on the Plastic Free Jersey webpage.
Certain types of waste can be hazardous or difficult to handle and need different recovery or disposal methods. This is because they present a greater risk to the environment and human health.
If you run a business, you’re responsible for making sure your waste is stored, transported, treated, recovered and disposed of safely.
For more information on waste management and licensing.