Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Protected species and wildlife licensing

The Conservation of Wildlife (Jersey) Law 2000

This is the main law protecting wild animals, birds and plants in Jersey. Species that are listed in the Schedules to the Law, as well as their dens or nests, are protected from harmful activities. The use of certain lethal methods of taking or killing all wildlife is also prohibited.

If you are unsure whether or not your proposed action is against the Law, contact Natural Environment for advice.

Conservation of Wildlife (Jersey) Law 2000 on Jersey Law website

Licensing for protected species

Anyone wishing to handle or disturb a protected species, its den or nest, or to pick a protected plant must hold a valid licence issued under the Conservation of Wildlife (Jersey) Law 2000.

A licence is also needed to use certain methods of capturing non-protected species of wild animal or bird.

Licences for conservation and research

A licence to carry out conservation or research work affecting protected species can be issued if you have the appropriate training and experience.

Licensed work may involve carrying out repairs to a garden pond where newts or other protected amphibians are known to be breeding.

Licence for conservation and research application form

Annual bat roost visitor licence

An annual licence can also be issued to carry out work where bats are known to be roosting, such as

  • bat boxes
  • tree cavities
  • loft spaces

This type of licence will only be issued if you have appropriate training and experience and is for scientific research or educational purposes only.

Annual bat roost visitor licence application form

Licences for wildlife management

Sometimes the presence of wild birds or animals close to human activities can have issues of public health and safety that need to be resolved by the removal of the wild animal or bird, its nest or den.

Only a licensed pest controller or licensed ecologist is allowed to handle a protected wild animal or bird, or to remove the nest or eggs.  Culling is only permitted as a last resort where alternative non-lethal methods have not been successful.

Licence to control wild birds other than gulls

Herring gulls

Nuisance seagulls (Home and community section)

Herring gull protection and monitoring

Licence to control herring gulls application form

Pheasant control

The pheasant is protected but can cause problems in agricultural environments by damaging crops.  An annual licence can be obtained by landowners to allow licensed shooters to control pheasants where this is an issue.

Licence to control pheasants application form

Licences for possession

Anyone wishing to keep a live wild animal or wild bird that is protected may need to hold a licence.

If you are caring for an injured animal or bird in order to release it back to the wild, a licence may be required. If the animal or bird is still in your care after 28 days, you must contact Natural Environment for advice.

Licence for possession application form

Applying for a licence

Forms and guidelines can be downloaded or collected from Natural Environment.

Read the guidance notes accompanying the form carefully as the application will not be considered without all the required information.

Completed forms and supporting information can be submitted electronically for consideration, however a signed copy must be provided for the process to be completed.

We will aim to process your application with 15 working days after receiving all the required information.

Licences for activities on Natural Sites 

 If your proposed activities will be carried out on a Natural Site, you may need to seek additional permission.

Natural Sites of Special Interest (SSIs)

Back to top
rating button