Communal establishments provide managed residential accommodation. These are treated slightly differently to households.
- care homes for the elderly
- staff accommodation (for example, for farm workers)
What you need to do
Managers of communal establishments are responsible for completing a communal establishment form and giving an individual questionnaire to each resident to complete. All forms will be provided by the Census Office.
The manager is responsible for returning the completed forms to the Census Office.
Smaller establishments will need to post their completed forms back in the Freepost envelope provided. Larger establishments will have their completed forms collected by our Census Officer.
How we will contact you
We will contact you either by phone or by post ahead of census day to find out how many census forms you need.
We will post out census forms to smaller communal establishments (with fewer than 10 residents or visitors).
Larger communal establishments will have their census forms hand-delivered by a census officer. Our census officers only contact the establishment manager and will not visit individual residents or guests. They will be wearing face coverings, sanitise regularly and will be working in line with government guidance.
Each resident must be listed on the communal establishment form and complete an individual questionnaire (or have it completed on their behalf).
A resident is:
- anyone who has stayed or is intending to stay in the establishment for 6 months or longer
- anyone who normally lives outside of Jersey and is staying or intends to stay in the establishment for 1 month or longer
- a Jersey resident who is living temporarily at the establishment and who has no other address
The names and addresses of visitors on Census Day (21 March) must be listed on the communal establishment form.
A visitor is:
- anyone staying there who has been in Jersey, and only intends to stay in Jersey for less than 1 month
- a person staying (and intending to stay) at the establishment for less than 6 months who was living at another Jersey address before staying at the establishment
- staff members working overnight at the establishment
- overnight guests of residents of the establishment