Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Icon of pen and paper on Jersey mapIcon of pen and paper on Jersey map
How to answer each question on your census form

The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic may have changed the circumstances in your household. If that’s the case, fill in the census based on what your situation is now.

H1. List the names of the people who usually live at this address

How to answer:

  • start with the main householder
  • if there's not enough space for your name on the paper form, write as much as you can
  • enter first and last names, you don't need to include previous names, maiden names or middle names
  • if you're known by a different name to your official one, enter whichever you prefer but keep it consistent throughout
  • newborn babies that have not been named should be recorded as 'Baby' for first name and the parent's surname
  • if there are more than six people in your household you need a continuation questionnaire, you can contact us on +44 (0) 1534 444400 or email us, alternatively you can complete your census online


  • household members that have chosen to fill in a separate individual form
  • visitors staying in Jersey for more than one month
  • anyone temporarily away (for example, on holiday, school children or students away from home, family members working away)
  • children and babies (including newborn babies still in hospital)

H2. List all visitors present at this address on 21 March 2021

How to answer:

  • don't include anyone counted in question H1 (people who usually live here)
  • don't answer the individual questions for visitors
  • if there are only visitors at this address on census night, complete the household questions H3 to H6 and complete the declaration on the front page
  • visitors to Jersey staying for more than one month should complete all the individual questions as a current member of the household


  • visitors to Jersey staying for less than one month
  • anyone who usually lives elsewhere in Jersey but is staying at this address on census night 
  • babies and children

H3. What type of property is this?


  • Whole house or bungalow: a property that has not been sub-divided into separate flats or other units
  • Detached: a property not attached to another property. This does include those joined to another property only by a garage
  • Semi-detached: joined to another house or bungalow on one side by a common wall
  • Terraced: a property in a row of at least 3 other houses side by side that share common walls and includes end of terrace houses
  • Purpose-built blocks of flats: includes buildings that were previously designed for other purposes (eg hotels) that have since been converted
  • Part of a converted house: means that the house has been altered or sub-divided to provide separate units of accommodation
  • Mobile or temporary structure: includes tents, boats, portakabins, caravans, mobile homes, campervans and trailers

H4. How do you occupy your accommodation?

Owner occupied 


  • accommodation that is owned or partly owned, either:
    • outright
    • with a mortgage / loan 
    • through a shared equity scheme
  • properties that are partly owned (with or without a mortgage or loan), and partly rented
  • rent-free accommodation that is:
    • given for lifetime enjoyment
    • owned by a family member or friend
    • owned by a deceased partner held in trust
    • owned solely by an ex-partner or spouse that no longer lives there

Qualified private rental

This is rental accommodation for people with local housing qualifications under the Jersey Control of Housing and Work Law through either:

  • living in the Island for a period of 10 years or more (entitled, previously known as a-h category) 
  • essential employment (licensed, previously known as j-category) 
  • social or economic grounds (for example, high net worth individuals)
  • hardship grounds

If you don't have local housing qualifications and are living in rented accommodation, select one of the following categories:

  • staff, service or tied accommodation 
  • registered lodging house 
  • lodger paying rent in a private household 
  • other non-qualified accommodation

​Residential and employment statuses and what they mean

Staff or service accommodation

This is accommodation at your place of work or provided by your employer (eg farm workers, hotel workers and nurses). It must be tied to your job and you could not otherwise live there if you were not employed in that job.

If your accommodation is not located at your place of work or tied to your job, but your employer pays your rent or gives you an allowance to cover your rent, select one of the following options:

  • qualified private rent 
  • registered lodging house 
  • lodger paying rent in a private household 
  • other non-qualified accommodation

Registered lodging house

Lodging houses or lodging accommodation are privately owned properties offering accommodation for people who do not have residential housing qualifications. People can live in lodging houses as both lodgers and tenants. 

Other non-qualified accommodation

Accommodation for people without residential housing qualifications. Also known as ‘registered’ accommodation.

H5. How many bedrooms do you have for use only by your household?

Include all rooms built or converted for use as bedrooms, even if not currently used as bedrooms. If two bedrooms have been converted into one bedroom, then count as one bedroom.

H6. How many cars, vans or motorcycles are owned or are available for use by members of your household?


  • company cars, vans, motorcycles or scooters available for your private use
  • cars or vans that are temporarily not working
  • pick-ups and / or mini-buses

Do not include:

  • vehicles that can only be used for work purposes

Individual census questions 1 to 26

Once you have completed your household questions you need to complete the individual questions 1 to 26 for each member of your household.

If you live in a communal establishment or you've chosen to complete your own form for privacy reasons you need to complete individual questions 1 to 26.

Back to top
rating button