|Department||Office of the Chief Executive|
|Type of consultation||Other|
|Deadline for comments||24/03/2014|
About the consultation
Alcohol is a part of our lives, regardless of whether or not we drink. For some it is a source of enjoyment but for others it can bring problems, whether they drink too much or because they suffer as a result of the crime, violence and disorder that alcohol can generate.
The Council of Ministers is inviting all Islanders to comment on a proposed new alcohol and licensing strategy for Jersey. It recognises the very real impact that alcohol can have on health and wellbeing whilst acknowledging that a culture of sensible drinking can support vibrant communities and make an important economic contribution.
The strategy has two key sections:
- our over-arching policy and strategic objectives in relation to alcohol and the actions we propose to take in order to deliver the strategy
- our proposals for the introduction of a new fit-for-purpose licensing law
This licensing law will be introduced in two phases:
- phase 1: a framework law providing for the introduction of amended licence categories
- phase 2: subordinate legislation providing details of each licence category and transitional arrangements from the old licensing system to the new system
Download alcohol and licensing strategy for Jersey (size 683kb)
The strategy is supported by two additional documents:
- a discussion document on preventing harm caused by alcohol, produced by the Health and Social Services Department
- a licensing law policy paper, produced by the Economic Development Department in response to the 2009 consultation on proposed changes to the licensing law
Download preventing harm caused by alcohol (size 626kb)
Download licensing law policy paper (size 573kb)
How to submit comments to the consultation
This consultation is now closed.
Responses to the consultation
The Chief Minister’s Department issued a draft of Alcohol and Licensing Strategy for Jersey for public comment between 8 January 2014 and 24 March 2014.
A summary of the feedback and comments received is attached. This will be reviewed by the Alcohol and Licensing Policy Group who have responsibility for the development and delivery of the Strategy.
Download alcohol and licensing strategy consultation response report (size 261kb)
On 9 October 2014, the Chief Minister's Department issued the Alcohol and Licensing Strategy for Jersey report.
Download Alcohol and licensing strategy for Jersey report (size 1.16mb)