Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Baby feetBaby feet

Registering your child's birth

You must register the birth with the parish registrar of the parish your child was born within 21 days.

The Maternity Unit will give your child's information to the Customer and Local Services where your child will get their social security number (SSN)

You will get your child's SSN when you go to register the birth with the parish registrar.

Documents you need to register your child's birth

You need to take the following documents with you to the parish registrar:

If you're married

Either the father or mother (or both) can register the birth. You or your spouse need to bring your:

  • marriage certificate

  • deed poll papers (if you have any)

  • official translation of any documents if they're in a language other than English or French

If you're not married

The mother must register the baby. If the father is to be registered on the birth certificate then he also needs to attend and you both need to bring your:

  • birth certificates or passports

  • divorce decree absolute papers

  • deed poll papers (if you have any)

  • official translation of any documents if they're in a language other than English or French

Late birth registrations

If your child's birth isn't registered within 21 days, the birth must be registered with both the Superintendent Registrar and the registrar of the parish in which your baby was born.

You will also have to pay a fine of £200 and give the Superintendent Registrar the reason for the delay in registering the birth.

Parish registrars

Parish registrar
St Brelade
​St Clement: If your child was born in St Clement you need to contact the St Helier registrar
​Grouville: If your child was born in Grouville you need to contact the St Helier registrar
St Helier
​St John: If your child was born in St John you need to contact the St Helier registrar
​St Lawrence: If your child was born in St Lawrence you need to contact the St Helier registrar
St Martin
​St Mary: If your child was born in St Mary you need to contact the St Helier registrar
St Ouen
St Peter
St Saviour

Types and cost of birth certificates

Standard form birth certificate

A standard form birth certificate contains all information and is used to support most official applications.

A standard birth certificate is £30.

Short form birth certificate

A short form birth certificate is a basic document which shows a person’s name, date of birth and place of birth. Official organisations will not accept short form certificates as evidence of identity.

A short form birth certificate is £10.

Registering your child if they were born outside of Jersey​

If your baby is born outside of Jersey, you need to register the birth in the local jurisdiction.

You must bring back the birth certificate and take it to the Customer and Local Services to get their Social Security Number.

What we'll do with the details of your child's birth

We will tell the following departments about your child's birth:

  • Child Health: so that your child's records can be updated on their system with the correct information and to make sure that they can contact you in the future

  • Customer and Local Services: if you receive Income Support, your claim will be updated. If you need any further services which require proof of your child's birth, then you won't need to provide copies of the birth certificate.

  • Taxes Office: they will receive confirmation of your child's birth,​ so you will not need to give them a copy of the birth certificate. You'll still need to contact them to discuss the allocation of child allowance

Data sharing agreement for registering new births

Back to top
rating button