Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Photo of gold wedding ring placed on open bookPhoto of gold wedding ring placed on open book

Guidance on getting married during Covid-19

Marriage and civil partnership ceremonies will take place in Jersey from 1 July 2020. These ceremonies will be subject to public health measures due to Covid-19.

Guidance on getting married or a civil partnership during COVID-19

Who can have a civil partnership

You can have a civil partnership if:

  • you're a same sex couple
  • it's conducted by the States of Jersey Superintendent Registrar
  • it's conducted in a location approved for civil partnerships
  • it takes place between 8am and 7pm

You can't have a civil partnership if:

  • you're under 18 without written consent from each of your parents or guardians
  • if you or your partner are under the age of 16
  • your wedding location is open air
  • you have any religious content in your ceremony

How to get a civil partnership licence

You need to visit us to get a licence. Bring the following with you:

  • the date, time and location of your civil partnership ceremony
  • you and your partner’s full birth certificates
  • change of name documents (if applicable)
  • your divorce decree absolute / dissolution of civil partnership (if applicable)
  • the death certificate of your late spouse / civil partner (if applicable)
  • translations into English if any of the above documents are in another language, accompanied with the original.

The documents must be originals or certified copies issued by the Office of the Superintendent Registrar, similar authority from another country or court.

Giving notice to enter a civil partnership

You must give notice at least two clear weeks before your ceremony. The maximum period of notice is three months.

You need to bring the following into our office:

  • any documentation you were instructed to provide
  • the fee of £70

We will enter your notice into the civil partnership notice book, and your names wil be publicly displayed in our office and online.

Collecting your licence for a civil partnership

You can collect your licence for civil partnership two weeks before but no later than three working days before your ceremony. At least seven days of the notice period must have expired before you can collect it.

To collect your licence:

  • visit our office
  • bring any documentation you were instructed to provide
  • pay the fee

Meeting the registrar

You need to meet the registrar of the parish your civil partnership ceremony is taking place in to give them your licence and all the documents that you received from us.

Parish registrar
St Brelade
​St Clement: you need to contact the St Helier registrar
St Helier
​St John: you need to contact the St Helier registrar
St Lawrence
St Martin
​St Mary: you need to contact the St Helier registrar
St Ouen
St Peter
St Saviour

Cost of a civil partnership

​Cost if notice is given in person
​Cost if notice is given by non Jersey resident
​Civil partnership ceremony in the Office of the Superintendent Registrar, total fees

​£260 to £360:

£70 notice
£130 to £230 licence
£60 certificate
​£390 to £490:

£130 booking fee
£70 notice
£130 to £230 licence
£60 certificate
​Civil partnership ceremony in other approved premises, extra charges may apply
​£275 to £295:

£70 notice
£145 to £165 licence
£60 certificate
​£405 to £425:

£130 booking fee
£70 notice
£145 to £165 licence
£60 certificate

Cash or debit cards are accepted in person. If you're applying from outside the island you can send a cheque made payable to 'Treasurer of the States'.

Fees will be charged at each stage of arranging your civil partnership ceremony, you cannot pay in advance.

Approved premises may have extra charges.

Any fees paid to the Superintendent Registrar are non refundable.

Arranging a civil partnership for non Jersey residents

You should start the process at least two months before the date of your civil partnership ceremony.

You’ll need to provide the following details for you and your partner to us:

  • your full names
  • your address
  • when and where you would like to have your civil partnership ceremony

Non EU or EEA citizens

If you or your partner are not UK citizens or citizens of member states of the European Economic Area (EEA), make sure you follow the laws in your own country, so that your civil partnership in Jersey is recognised there.

If you’re a citizen from outside the EU or EEA, and you wish to enter into a civil partnership with a British citizen, make sure your immigration status allows you to do so.  You must also check that you have the necessary immigration clearance before coming to Jersey.

Information for non EU / EEA nationals visiting Jersey

Back to top
rating button