Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

To help prevent the spread of coronavirus, everyone in Jersey is now ordered to stay at home.

Photo of gold wedding ring placed on open bookPhoto of gold wedding ring placed on open book

Jersey residents getting married abroad

It is not our responsibility to find out the requirements of the country you would like to marry in, you need to contact the marriage authorities of the country that you want to get married in and ask what they need.

Leave plenty of time to contact them as each country has different requirements and timeframes.

Apply to give notice to marry

You will need to apply to give notice to marry as if you were getting married in Jersey. State on your application you're applying for a certificate of no impediment.

If you both live in Jersey, you both need to ask for a certificate of no impediment and you both need to give notice.

Apply for a certificate of no impediment

You may need to give evidence that you are free to marry by providing a document called a certificate of no impediment.

25 days after you give notice to marry, contact us to issue your certificate of no impediment.

The certificate costs £100 and it is valid for three months from the date you give notice to marry.

Check with the country you're getting married in what time frames are required for your certificate of no impediment.

Back to top
rating button