Choosing your marriage celebrant
Your marriage celebrant must be:
- authorised to marry people in Jersey
- included on the list of authorised celebrants below
When you book your marriage celebrant you need to pay them directly, this an additional fee to your
application to get married.
Marriage celebrants are self employed but are authorised and regulated by the Superintendent Registrar, they charge different rates and offer a range of services.
What your marriage celebrant must do
Before your wedding ceremony
All civil and religious marriage celebrants must publish their fees.
Your civil marriage celebrant must agree the form and content of your wedding ceremony with you before your wedding day. They must make sure it complies with the law.
Your marriage celebrant needs to collect all documents and certificates that must be signed during your wedding ceremony from the Office of the Superintendent Registrar.
On the day of your wedding ceremony
When performing your marriage, all civil and religious marriage celebrants must:
- be at your wedding location at least one hour before the wedding and throughout the ceremony
- ensure that no food and drink is consumed at the wedding location for one hour before the ceremony, until the end of the ceremony
- ensure that the wedding takes place within the boundaries of the approved location, as set out in the register of approved locations, and is separate from other unrelated activities (for example, if the wedding is in a room in a hotel, caterers can’t set up tables in the same room whilst the wedding is taking place)
- ensure the details of wedding display notice is in place least one hour before the wedding and throughout the ceremony
After your wedding ceremony
You will be given 2 copies of your marriage certificate to take away with you. Your marriage celebrant will return all other documents to us which will be entered into the Island's records.
Make a complaint about your marriage celebrant
You can make a complaint by writing to us. Celebrants are regulated by the Superintendent Registrar. We cannot make a celebrant refund you. However, we may remove the celebrant’s authorisation to perform marriage in Jersey.
You can find all authorised marriage celebrants and their contact details below: