Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Extending your stay in Jersey

​When permission is not needed to extend your stay in Jersey

Permission is not needed to extend your stay in Jersey if you are:

  • a British citizen
  • a national of a member state of the European Union (EU) / European Economic Area (EEA)
  • a Swiss national
  • an overseas national who has no restrictions attached to your stay

If you have temporary permission to stay in Jersey you can apply to extend this permission to stay longer. If you are here as a visitor you cannot extend your permission to stay beyond six months.

The Jersey Immigration Rules set out the requirements you need to meet in order to apply for an extension of stay, also known as Further Leave to Remain (FLR).

Immigration rules

Applying for Further Leave to Remain (FLR)

All applications for FLR will require completion and submission of the appropriate form and fee together with any supporting documentation.

We will not normally consider applications more than two weeks prior to the expiry of your current conditions. However, you must make your application before your current permission to stay expires.

Application form: work permit holders or dependants

Application form: spouse or unmarried partners and their dependants

Application form: all other categories

If you're making an application for a ‘spouse or unmarried partners and their dependants’ you must meet the following English language requirement in one of the following ways:

  • have passed an A2 English language test or above, held at Highlands College
  • be a national of a majority English speaking country (Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, USA)
  • hold a degree taught in the UK or a majority English speaking country (excluding Canada)
  • have obtained a foreign academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) deemed by the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) for the UK to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, which was taught or researched in English

If you are unable to meet the A2 English language requirement you may be considered under the 10 year private life route and be granted Further Leave to Remain for 30 months at a time. If you subsequently pass the A2 exam you may revert to the 5 year family route but the time period for qualification towards Indefinite Leave to Remain will start again.

Cost of Further Leave to ​Remain

To find out how much Further Leav​e to Remain costs, view the immigration and nationality fees page​.​​​

Back to top
rating button