What is a Ramsar site?
A Ramsar site is a wetland of international importance. The convention on wetlands is an inter-governmental treaty which provides a framework for the conservation and wise use of wetlands and their resources. The convention was signed in Ramsar, Iran, in 1971.
What is the Ramsar Management Authority?
The convention requires that management plans for each Ramsar site are developed by its stakeholders. Jersey has four areas of coastal waters and reefs designated under the Ramsar Convention. The Ramsar Management Authority was established to devise and implement management plans to ensure compliance with international legislation.
What are the authority's objectives?
- to produce and implement management plans for Jersey’s Ramsar sites, ensuring compatibility with the principles of the Ramsar Convention
- to promote and foster an informed debate and disseminate information about the role of Ramsar sites in the management of the marine environment around Jersey
- to seek ways of establishing consensus amongst stakeholders
- to support the delivery of projects which are relevant to the purpose of the authority
- to ensure compliance with relevant:
- local legislation
- national legislation
- international legislation
- policies and best practice
Who are the Ramsar Management Authority members?
The authority consists of a broad range of representatives so that it is able to provide a balance of viewpoints and expertise to enable informed debate. As of March 2010, membership of the Jersey Ramsar Management Authority includes (the number of members from each organisation are specified in brackets):
- Planning and Environment (Assistant Minister, Chief Officer, Fisheries & Marine Resources (2), Environmental Protection (1), Ecology (1))
- Economic Development (Harbours (1), Tourism (1))
- Education Sport and Culture (1)
- Transport and Technical Services (1)
- Chairman Fisheries and Marine Resources Panel (1)
- Receiver General (1)
- Société Jersiaise (1)
- National Trust (1)
- RSPB (1)
- Jersey Fishermen’s Association (1)
- Jersey Inshore Fishermen’s Association (1)
- Jersey Aquaculture Association (1)
- Jersey Angling Representative (1)
- Save Our Shoreline (1)
- Constables of respective parishes:
- St Helier
- St Martin
- St Clement
- St Ouen
Download Ramsar Management Authority terms of reference (size 32kb)