About the ITS Programme
The ITS (Integrated Technology Solution) Programme is the Government of Jersey's largest ever Business Change Programme, which is being enabled by investment in new technology and systems.
It will deliver new ways of working, capabilities, policies, and processes to the key areas of Commercial, Finance, People Services, Asset Management, and Inventory.
The systems will be known as "Connect" for ease of use and understanding across Departments. These include:
- Connect Finance
- Connect Suppliers Ariba
- Connect People
- Connect Inventory
- Connect Assets
- Connect Estates
- Connect H&S
What the ITS Programme provides
Without the ITS Programme there is a risk of end of life technology failure across the Government of Jersey.
We will be providing colleagues across our public services with access to mobile working and self service capabilities, which will enable them to focus on value adding activities for Islanders and suppliers.
The new systems enable transactions to be completed in simple ways and queries answered more efficiently.
How it will work in practice
We're transforming how we manage our finances, assets, inventory and suppliers, as well as our HR information and interaction with colleagues in people services. How this could improve frontline services to Islanders:
- enhanced management of supply into our hospital means we don't lose theatre time and we reduce the risk of any stock shortages of essential items
- improved management of critical Island infrastructure, such as pumping stations and sea walls. Their service history and maintenance schedules will enable a better-informed investment strategy leading to a more effective use of capital funds
- it will allow us to direct planned and preventative maintenance activities at public priorities, reducing the possibility of severe incidents or issues with important infrastructure, like the energy from the waste plant or sewage systems, that would inconvenience Islanders
- smoother recruitment processes allow us to fill frontline roles with the right people when we need them
Who will benefit and timeline
We're delivering the system from January 2023.
Going live from January 2023 onwards: Connect Finance; Connect Suppliers Ariba; Connect People.
Colleagues in Treasury and Exchequer and Commercial Services will benefit first. They use an outdated and unsupported finance system called JD Edwards, which we'll be replacing with Connect Finance.
Colleagues who buy goods or services, oversee inventory or manage budgets will benefit too. The new system will be easy to use and give them better tools for reporting, planning, management and insights. All in one place!
All colleagues will benefit from updated HR systems in Connect People.
Suppliers will also benefit, as Supply Jersey is also being replaced with Connect Suppliers Ariba.
Supplier information for the ITS programme and replacing Supply Jersey
From April 2023, we're going live with Connect Assets, Connect Estates, Connect H&S, and Connect Inventory.
What technology is being used?
We're using a system called SAP, together with SuccessFactors and Ariba.
SAP connects services and systems across departments and agencies, providing a single version of the truth that is consistent, respected and auditable.
Many Island nations use SAP including New Zealand, Iceland and States of Guernsey. It's also used across UK Government departments such as the Welsh Government, HM Revenue & Customs and the Department for Health and Social Care.
475 public sector organisations are using this system, 117 were new in 2020.
Social value initiatives
The ITS Programme is also delivering many social value initiatives for the Jersey community.
- employing 3 full time employees via the Back to Work scheme
- providing 9 Trident work placements
- working with Digital Jersey and Skills Jersey to run two different coding courses at the Digital Jersey Academy. These courses will run twice annually and are open to all members of the public
- SAP student training at Highlands College, providing SAP Education licenses to Highlands College to distribute to their IT HNC students
- sponsorship of Highlands Students. We have made a donation to the Highlands foundation for 2 Student Bursaries
- SME Mentoring
- laptop distribution for disadvantaged students
- 3 student internships
- delivering over 80 hours of volunteering at schools, to include numeracy workshops, CV workshops and talks on women in business