Declarations of expenses by candidates for election (FOI)
Declarations of expenses by candidates for election (FOI)Produced by the Freedom of Information office
Authored by States of Jersey and published on 18 September 2015.
Prepared internally, no external costs.
Article 6(1) of the Public Elections (Expenditure and Donations) (Jersey) Law 2014 requires a person admitted as a candidate for election as a Senator, Deputy or Connétable to deliver to the Greffier a written declaration of his/her expenses incurred and donations received no later than 15 working days after the day the poll is held.
In respect of the October 2014 Jersey public elections, please supply the following:
(1) Copies of the written declarations submitted to the Greffier by all persons who were admitted as a candidate for election as a Senator;
(2) Copies of any further written declarations amending or varying the original declarations submitted to the Greffier by all persons who were admitted as a candidate for election as a SENATOR;
(3) Copies of any further proof (e.g. in the form of invoices and receipts) submitted by all persons who were admitted as a candidate for election as a SENATOR in 2014, whether submitted with the original written declaration or after a request made by the Greffier in accordance with article 7 of the Public Elections (Expenditure and Donations) (Jersey) Law 2014.
We are not able to supply the information requested under the Freedom of Information (Jersey) Law 2011 (the FOI law), because it is already reasonably available to the applicant as prescribed under Article 16 of the Public Elections (Expenditure and Donations) (Jersey) Law 2014 which is reproduced below:
16. Greffier to make declarations available for inspection
The Greffier shall make declarations received by him or her under this Law available for inspection, free of charge, at the offices of the Judicial Greffe, during normal working hours.
In fulfilling its obligations to make the declarations available for inspection, the Judicial Greffe will take any steps necessary to ensure that information is reasonably available to the applicant. In that case, the information is exempt from supply under the FOI law because it is covered by the absolute exemption provided by Article 23 of the FOI law which is reproduced below:
23 Information accessible to applicant by other means
(1) Information is absolutely exempt information if it is reasonably available to the applicant, otherwise than under this Law, whether or not free of charge.
(2) A scheduled public authority that refuses an application for information on this ground must make reasonable efforts to inform the applicant where the applicant may obtain the information.
How to inspect declarations received by the Judicial Greffier
If possible, make contact with the Judicial Greffe via email specifying the declarations you wish to inspect (expenditure and donations declarations for the 2014 Senator elections) and suitable arrangements will be made to allow inspection of the declarations received.
Alternatively, full contact details and office hours for the Judicial Greffe are available using the link below.
Email Judicial Greffe
About the Judicial Greffe