What are digital IDs?
Digital IDs provide a way for you to prove who you are when dealing with the States of Jersey online and in person.
Why we need digital IDs
The range of services that we can provide online will be much greater once a digital ID scheme has been put in place. At the moment we cannot be certain that the user of an online service is who they say they are.
Once we have certainty that the user who is logged into an online service is who they say they are, we will be able to:
- display information about them from departments' databases
- populate forms with information we already hold, where the user has granted permission to share their data
- simplify forms by only displaying sections that are relevant to the user
- avoid having to repeatedly ask people for information such as their name, address and date of birth
- introduce a wider range of online services, particularly forms that currently need signatures
- reduce fraud, because a digital ID will be a stronger proof of identity than an original signature
Benefits of having a digital ID
The benefits of a digital ID to Islanders include:
- fewer usernames and passwords to remember
- a reduced risk of identity theft, as the digital ID system will check it's you each time you log in
- greater control over who can use your personal data
- simplified online services that are more convenient to use
Challenges we face
We needed to make the best decision for the Island when selecting Jersey's digital ID system. Identifying potential options and evaluating them took three years, and the project fell two years behind the original schedule. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' system, and the cost has been greater than originally expected, so the decision was not straight-forward.
We have chosen Yoti as the new system and we need to adapt existing online services to use it. The speed by which we do this will determine how quickly Islanders register for a digital ID. We will need to build trust and assure our customers that this system is the easiest and most secure way for them to interact with the States.
Now that a contract has been signed with Yoti, we're working on integrating it with our systems. We are working alongside the Yoti team to introduce the app to businesses in Jersey that would benefit from using it. This will help with the overall uptake by Islanders.
Read our blog posts about Digital ID
Information Services Department
Jonathan Williams - Director, Business Change
Project management team
- Marcus Ferbrache - Head of Digital Delivery
- Lisa Devlin - project manager
- Steve Pannifer - External consultant