Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Advice for empty home owners

​Get advice and guidance

Choosing to sell, rent or renovate your empty home is a great option, it means:

  • you will have a source of income
  • you will bring an empty property back into use for Islanders to enjoy
  • there is less pressure to build more homes on the Island

We can offer advice and guidance to help you bring your empty home back into use. 

Get in touch:

  • request advice from us using our online form below
  • email: 
  • tel: + 44 (0) 1534 441614

Selling an empty property can be challenging. It’s difficult to know where to start. 

If you’re putting your empty home on the market you should:

  • get a valuation from at least two estate agents. Most estate agents offer a no obligation market valuation service
  • discuss the valuation, marketing options and sellers’ fees before deciding who to go with

If you would like further advice and guidance on selling your empty home, contact us.

Renting an empty property

If you rent your property, you have specific responsibilities to your tenant. 

As a landlord, it’s your duty to make sure that you are complying with the relevant legal requirements. You must:

You should make the following basic checks:

Other useful links for landlords

Renting a property

Advice and services for landlords renting property in Jersey

Model of a residential tenancy agreement

How to register on the Rent Safe scheme

Choosing an estate agent or a rent safe accredited letting agent        

Jersey Estate Agents’ Association

Citizens Advice Bureau   

Renovating an empty property

If you need to do cosmetic work, like redecorating and updating bathrooms and kitchens, an experienced estate agent can guide you through your options.

For bigger projects, like re-wiring and plumbing, structural issues, or damp, get advice from a qualified surveyor.

When doing any work on your property, always check when you will need planning or building permission.

Financial assistance for renovating properties

There are personal loans and mortgage options available to help you with renovations. Contact lenders to discuss your needs and what options may be available to you.

You may also be eligible for Government grants to help improve the energy efficiency of your home. These grants are available as part of our commitment to tackle climate change, outlined in the Carbon Neutral Roadmap:

  • a grant of up to £250 towards a home energy audit. To apply for this grant, go to home energy audits 
  • a low carbon heating incentive to help with the cost of upgrading your heating so its more efficient and better for the environment. To apply for this grant, go to low carbon heating incentive 

If you’re facing challenges in financing improvements to an empty home, we would like to hear from you, this can help us to develop new policies and initiatives, which could include making empty home loans available in the future. 

Inheriting an empty home

Freehold, also known as ‘real’ or ‘immoveable’ property, is passed on through a will.

If you have inherited a home and a will exists, you must take the following to the Judicial Greffe to assess the stamp duty payable on registering the will:

  • the original will
  • death certificate 
  • the names and addresses of all heirs
  • a valuation of the property (if you are not a spouse or partner inheriting a marital home)

If the property owner has died without a will, their property is distributed according to the Wills and Successions (Jersey) Law 1993 . Instead of property passing to the eldest male heir, it is divided evenly among all the heirs.

The property can only be distributed after Letters of Administration have been granted by the Judicial Greffier. 

The application must be made by the eldest child, spouse, or parent according to the circumstances of the deceased. 

You can get more advice and guidance from the Judicial Greffe or see wills and intestacy on Citizens Advice Jersey

If you have inherited an empty home and you need advice, contact us.

Tax information for empty homes

If you own an empty property and are bringing it back into use, you need to be aware of the tax implications.

As the owner of a property, you must pay parish and islandwide rates even if you are not the occupier. You must also complete the Annual Return for the property.

If the property is not occupied, you are liable for both the owner and the occupier rates. 

Income from renting out your property is taxable and must be declared, alongside any allowable deductions, on your annual tax return, see property income and tax

Back to top
rating button