Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Rented dwellings licensing toolkit

​​Get help completing your licence application at our roadshows

If you need help completing the online form, our officers will be at different parish halls to provide support and answer your questions.

Make sure you bring:

  • details of the properties you rent
  • a debit or credit card to make the payment

You can also call +44 (0) 1534 445808 or email

Date and time
Friday 7 June 2024, 10am to 12pm

St Brelade's Parish Hall 

Monday 10 June 2024, 10am to 12pm

St Peter's Parish Hall 

Tuesday 11 June 2024, 10am to 12pm 

St Lawrence Parish Hall

Wednesday 12 June2024, 10am to 12pm 

St Helier Town Hall

Friday 14 June 2024, 2pm to 4pm

St Clement's Parish Hall 

Monday 17 June 2024, 10am to 12pm

St Saviour's Parish Hall 

Wednesday 19 June 2024, 10am to 12pm

St Martin's Public Hall

Monday 24 June 2024, 10am to 12pm

Trinity Parish Hall

Monday 24 June 2024, 2pm to 4pm

Grouville Parish Hall 

Monday 1 July 2024, 10am to 12pm 

St John's Parish Hall

Wednesday 3 July 2024, 10am to 12pm

St Mary's Parish Hall

Thursday 4 July 2024, 2pm to 4pm

St Ouen's Parish Hall

​Friday 12 July 2024, 10am to 12pm

​St Brelade's Parish Hall

​Friday 12 July 2024, 2pm to 4pm

​​St Clement's Parish Hall

​Monday 15 July 2024, 10am to 12pm

​St Peter's Parish Hall

​Wednesday 17 July 2024, 10am to 12pm

​St Martin's Parish Hall

About rented properties licences

From 1 May 2024 all landlords need to have a Renting Dwellings Licence for each unit of residential property they rent.

There is a transition period during the first 3 months. During this period properties won’t need to be inspected to be issued a licence.

From 1 August 2024, it will be illegal for a landlord to rent without a licence. We may need to inspect your property before granting you a licence.

Licences will be attached to the property itself. This means that if the property is sold, the licence will transfer to the new owner.

Public Health and Safety (Rented Dwellings) (Licensing) (Jersey) Regulations 2023

Environmental and Consumer Protection Privacy Policy (Food & Public Health and Housing & Nuisance)

When you don't need a licence

You do not need a licence if you:

  • rent a lodging house 
  • have a tourist accommodation
  • nursing home or care home
  • have up to two lodgers and are the owner and reside in the home

Applying for a licence and fee

A licence costs £60 and is valid for 2 years.​

You can apply for a licence online.​​

Get help completing your licence application at our roadshows​

Apply for a Rented Dwellings Licence

Applying for several licenses

If you have several properties to licence, a multiple property upload facility will be ready by the end of June. This will allow ample time for you to licence the dwellings you own or manage before the transition period ends on 31 July.

If you are interested in this process please contact the department.

Telephone +44 (0) 1534 445808 or email rente​

Minimum standards to meet

To receive a licence, your rental property must meet minimum standards:

Electrical safety

An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) must be undertaken by a competent engineer. These inspections are valid for 5 years.

Competent engineers are those that are registered with:

  • National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers (NAPIT)
  • The National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC) 
  • Building Research establishment (BRE)

If there has been no renewal or change of tenancy since 2019, you must get your EICR by no later than 31 December 2023.​

A copy of your EICR must be provided to your tenant within 28 days or if it’s a new tenant, at the start of their occupation

Once you have your EICR, ​it is advisable to complete an interim checklist every year or when the tenancy changes.

Interim electrical safety ​checklist for landlords​

Gas safety

An annual gas safety inspection of your rented dwelling must be carried out by a person that is registered on the United Kingdom Gas Safe Register.

An inspection should be carried out even if a gas appliance is not connected or in use.

Detection of smoke

You must install a smoke detection alarm fulfilling the standard EN14604 on each storey. Whether or not a storey includes any habitable room.

We would also recommend that interlinking smoke alarms are installed in each room to allow for the earliest possible warning.

You must also install a carbon monoxide detection alarm fulfilling the standard EN 50291 in each habitable room where there is a facility for the combustion of:

  • oil
  • gas
  • wood
  • coal
  • any similar fossil fuel or any derivative products of any of these fuels​

All alarms must be kept in full working order. If the alarm is battery powered, it must be operational at the start of every rental period.

You can find alarm standards on the packaging of the device.

Information to provide to occupiers

You must provide a copy of your licence and written information explaining how your tenants can raise a concern or complaint about their rented property within 28 days of the:

  • start of your licence
  • renewal of an existing tenancy agreement
  • signing of a new tenancy agreement

You can provide this information in an electronic format or hard copy. This can be provided to your tenants in an email, a handbook or a notice displayed in a communal area.

The information you provide your tenants must include:

  • a contact address and daytime phone number to be used to communicate their concern or complaint
  • an out-of-hours telephone number to be used in an emergency
  • how their concern or complaint will be dealt with
  • a statement on their rights to seek advice from, or raise a complaint with our department, together with our contact details

If you make any material changes to the written information you have provided you must ensure that your tenants are advised of these within 28 days of the changes taking place.

You must communicate these changes in the same way as you communicated the original written information you provided.

You can use the following template to provide this information your tenants.

Tenants concerns and complaints form​

Tenancy agreement

A residential tenancy agreement should be:

  • in writing
  • signed by or on behalf of the parties to the agreement
  • use specific terms and conditions to be agreed between the parties

Residential tenancy agreement template

Residential Tenancy (Jersey) Law 2011

Condition report

You must provide your tenants with a condition report which must: 

  • be in writing and may include images 
  • record the physical condition and state of repair of each property when tenants move in and out
  • be completed at start and end of each rental agreement  
  • allow the tenant 7 days in which to review, amend or accept the report

You must provide this report even if you have not taken a deposit. 

Condition report template for tenants and landlords template​

Residential Tenancy (Condition Reports) (Jersey) Order 2014​

Tell us about a change

You must notify us within 28 days if you:

  • change address, phone number or email
  • appointed a person or company to act on your behalf and they change their address, phone or email
  • change the emergency contact number you provided your tenants
  • stop renting a property registered as a rented dwelling
To tell us about a change email​ or call +44 (0) 1534 445808.

Additional guidance on renting properties 

Find guidance on the Public Health and Safety (Rented Dwellings) (Jersey) Law 2018 in the following document. Including details on the 29 prescribed hazards and preventative measures.

Rented Dwellings Licensing code of practice

Rented Dwellings Licensing guidance summary​

Find more information on your responsibilities and advice and services for landlords renting property​.

Back to top
rating button