Jersey has a code of practice for the welfare of dogs for commercial breeding.
The code is intended to ensure the welfare of animals and to encourage those responsible for looking after these animals to adopt the highest standards of husbandry.
These recommendations are additional to recommendations made for boarding kennels which are likely to be relevant in large breeding establishments.
5 basic needs
The code of practice takes account of 5 basic needs, known as the ‘5 Freedoms’. The ‘5 Freedoms’ are:
- freedom from hunger and thirst
- freedom from discomfort
- freedom from pain, injury or disease
- freedom to express normal behaviour
- freedom from fear or distress
The code sets out additional guidelines in specific areas such as:
- housing including:
- health of the breeding bitch
- sleeping and exercise facilities
- kitchen facilities
- isolation facilities
Jersey Code of Practice for the welfare of dogs for commercial breeding