Jersey has a code of practice for the welfare of dogs in boarding facilities.
The code is intended to ensure the welfare of animals in the dog boarder’s care and to encourage those responsible for looking after these animals to adopt the highest standards of husbandry.
5 basic needs
The code of practice takes account of 5 basic needs, known as the ‘5 Freedoms’. The ‘5 Freedoms’ are:
- freedom from hunger and thirst
- freedom from discomfort
- freedom from pain, injury or disease
- freedom to express normal behaviour
- freedom from fear or distress
The code sets out additional guidelines in specific areas such as:
- kennels including
- sleeping and exercise facilities
- isolation facilities
- staff training
Jersey Code of Practice for the welfare of dogs in boarding facilities