Jersey has a code of practice for the welfare of animals under the care of pet groomers.
The code is intended to ensure the welfare of animals in the care of pet groomers and to encourage those responsible for looking after these animals to adopt the highest standards of husbandry.
5 basic needs
The code of practice takes account of 5 basic needs, known as the ‘5 Freedoms’. The ‘5 Freedoms’ are:
- freedom from hunger and thirst
- freedom from discomfort
- freedom from pain, injury or disease
- freedom to express normal behaviour
- freedom from fear or distress
The code sets out additional guidelines in specific areas such as:
- welfare of companion animals
- housing of the animals, including:
- disease management
- emergencies/fire prevention
- staff training
Jersey Code of Practice for the welfare of animals under the care of pet groomers