Jersey has codes of practice for the welfare of pigs.
The codes are intended to ensure the welfare of animals and to encourage those responsible for looking after these animals to adopt the highest standards of husbandry.
5 basic needs
The codes of practice take account of 5 basic needs, known as the ‘5 Freedoms’. The ‘5 Freedoms’ are:
- freedom from hunger and thirst
- freedom from discomfort
- freedom from pain, injury or disease
- freedom to express normal behaviour
- freedom from fear or distress
- tail docking
- drinking points
- ear tagging and slap marking
- farrowing and suckling pigs
- dry sows and gilts
Jersey Code of Practice for the welfare of pigs
Jersey Code of Practice for the welfare of pigs Portuguese translation