Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Direct landing of fish to the EU from 1 January 2021

About direct landing

To direct land fish you have caught you'll need to submit the relevant documents to the EU Competent Authority. These include:

To be considered a direct landing, any catch must:

  • not leave the vessel it was caught on at any point, including for previous landings, storage or transfers 
  • be taken directly to the EU

Catches can be landed into Carteret and Granville, which are now North East Atlantic Fisheries Commission (NEAFC) designated ports.

St Malo is a Border Control Post (BCP) which processes exports. It is not a designated landing port so you cannot direct land your catch here. 

Crustaceans and Fin Fish

Direct landings of live Crustaceans and Fin Fish that have not undergone secondary processing (such as gutting, freezing etc.) are permitted as these species are exempt from SPS requirements. 


French authorities require a Catch Certificate for Whelks under French Regulations even though the EU IUU Regulation does not require one because they are an exempt species. Therefore, if you land Whelks in France, you should submit a Catch Certificate along with your other catch documents. If you're landing whelks you'll need to complete an Exempt Prior Notification Form (instead of a Prior Notification Form). If you're landing a mixture of whelks and other species, you'll still need to complete the standard Prior Notification Form. 

Live Bivalve Molluscs (Scallops & Clams)

You can’t land Live Bivalve Molluscs (Scallops & Clams) into the EU as these require health certification under the EU Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures (SPS) Regulations. These species will need to be exported with the correct export health certificate.

Find more information on exporting fish to the EU from 1 January 2021

Live Aquatic Animals

If you're exporting Live Aquatic Animals (Aquaculture and Ornamental) there is a different process. Email Enviornmental Health and Animal Health for more information. 

What you need to do

Important to note that information is changing constantly, visit this webpage and our simplified step by step pdf guide for the latest information:

Direct landing to France 2021 direct landing to France 2021 - Primary product

If you would like this in another format contact fisheries.

Step 1: Register 

Apply to Jersey Environmental Health Department to register and become an ‘Approved’ food business.

Step 2: Catch Certificate 

Step 3: Prior Notification (PNO)

Step 4: Pre-Landing Declaration 

Step 5: NEAFC Form 

If Part B has been verified, they will forward on to French Authorities who will complete Part C of the PSC1 which is your authorisation to land.

Step 6: Customs

  • all up to date information can be found on our Business Trade page.
  • Jersey Customs Agents may be able to answer specific customs related questions, contact Customs or phone +44 (0) 1534 448000.
  • we strongly recommend that you ask your buyer in France to check the requirements with the French Authorities.

Step 7: Inspection 

  • French Authorities must receive and approve your IUU and NEAFC documentation within the required time period by email, you should not attempt to land without approval
  • you may be inspected by the French Authorities on landing to check that your declaration matches the landing and so may wish to inspect your fishing logbook
  • send copies of all landing documentation (IUU and NEAFC) to Marine Resources

Help and support

French Authorities

Any issues with verification of documents or receiving approval to land, contact: 

UK Fish Export Service

Any issues regarding IUU documentation, contact: 

  • 24/7 helpline: 03301 591 989  

UK FMC (Fisheries Monitoring Centre)

Any issues regarding NEAFC PSC1 Form, contact: 


Any issues regarding NEAFC PSC1 Form, contact:

Jersey Marine Resources 

For further guidance or assistance, contact: 

Back to top
rating button