Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Arranging a civil partnership from outside Jersey

​​When to contact us and what information we need

It is advisable to start the process at least two months, if not longer, before the date of your civil partnership ceremony. This will allow time for the exchanges of correspondence that are required. The initial arrangements can be made by email or by standard letter (we need the request in writing) but the payment of fees and the delivery of documentation are necessarily all done by post.

When you contact us, provide the following details (for both you and your partner):

  • your full names
  • your address/es
  • when you would like to have your civil partnership ceremony
  • where you would like to have your civil partnership ceremony

Fees and documents

Do not send any money or documents with your initial enquiry. We can only process the payment for each stage of arranging your civil partnership when you reach that particular stage and we have no means of refunding a notice or licence fee if something were to happen to your arrangements.

You will have to complete a ‘notice of civil partnership’ form (provided by the Superintendent Registrar once we have received your £130 booking fee), which you must return to us about one month before the date of your civil partnership ceremony. Once the ‘notice of civil partnership form’, the appropriate fee and all relevant paperwork have been received, the Superintendent Registrar will enter the details into the civil partnership notice book and display your name and your partner's on the notice board outside the Register Office. The fee for giving notice is £70.

Collecting your licence

The law requires a minimum period of 14 clear days between the giving of notice and the civil partnership ceremony.  Three working days before the civil partnership, you will need to collect your licence for civil partnership. This is issued by the Superintendent Registrar. You will have been told of the date you need to collect your licence in the standard reply to your enquiry. It is important to understand that this is the date by which you must have arrived in Jersey.
Once the licence is issued, you will need to take it to the registrar of the parish in which your civil partnership will take place.  If your civil partnership is taking place in the Register Office or any other venue in St Helier, you will take it directly to the registrar for St Helier at 12 Seale Street, St Helier.  If you are to hold your civil partnership ceremony in one of the country parishes, you will take the licence for civil partnership to that parish’s registrar. The Superintendent Registrar will ask you to make contact with him or her when you make the initial appointment.

The parish registrar will take the licence for civil partnership from you and use it to prepare the documents, including your civil partnership registration document, which will be at your civil partnership ceremony.  He or she will also enter your civil partnership in the civil partnership register. The fee to the parish registrar is £60.

The Superintendent Registrar will usually arrange for the collection of your licence three working days before your civil partnership ceremony (unless there is a bank holiday involved).  A licence can be issued up to 14 days before the civil partnership ceremony but only after at least seven days of the notice period have passed.

How do I get a licence for civil partnership?

Non-EU or EEA citizens

If you are not an EEA citizen you need to make sure that you have the necessary immigration clearance before making the arrangements for your civil partnership and coming to Jersey.  The Directions of the Lieutenant-Governor are currently being updated to show the immigration requirements a person must meet, to either enter as a visitor for the purposes of entering into a civil partnership, or with a view to settlement in Jersey as a civil partner.

Non-EU / EEA nationals wishing to visit Jersey (travel and transport section)

Back to top
rating button