Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Civil partnerships in Jersey: an introduction

​​How do I enter into a civil partnership?

If you want to enter into a civil partnership in Jersey you will need a licence, issued by the Superintendent Registrar.

If you are not a Jersey resident, you will need to make special preparations to plan your civil partnership in Jersey.

How do I get a licence for civil partnership?
Arranging a civil partnership from outside Jersey

How old do I have to be before I can enter into a civil partnership?

You cannot enter into a civil partnership in Jersey if you are under the age of 16.  If you are aged between 16 and 18 you'll need written consent from each of your parents or guardians. If your parents or guardians live in Jersey they'll have to give their consent in the presence of the Superintendent Registrar.  If they live outside Jersey they'll need to fill in a special form, which is provided by the Superintendent Registrar.

We are a heterosexual couple.  Can we enter into a civil partnership with each other?

No.  Civil partnerships are only for couples in same sex relationships. 

I am not a UK citizen. Can I enter into a civil partnership in Jersey?

If you (or your partner) are not United Kingdom citizens or citizens of member states of the EEA, you need to make sure that the laws in your own country are observed, so that your civil partnership in Jersey is recognised in your own country. You should seek the advice of the consul for your own country.

If you are a citizen from outside the European Union or European Economic Area, and you wish to enter into a civil partnership with a British citizen, you should make sure your immigration status allows you to do so.  You must also check that you have the necessary immigration clearance before coming to Jersey.

Information for non-EU / EEA nationals visiting Jersey

My partner and I have previously entered into a civil partnership overseas.  Will this be recognised in Jersey?

If you have entered into a civil partnership overseas, which satisfies the conditions set out in Schedule 1 of the Civil Partnership (Jersey) Law 2012, you will be recognised in Jersey as civil partners.  The relationship must have been registered with a responsible authority in a country or territory outside Jersey by two people of the same sex, neither of whom are already in a civil partnership or lawfully married.

List of equivalent relationships by country or territory

Back to top
rating button