Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Getting married in Jersey: an introduction

Religious or civil marriages in Jersey

​If you want to get married in Jersey, you have the choice of a religious or civil marriage.

If you choose to have a civil marriage or a marriage in a non-Anglican church, you will need a licence issued by the Superintendent Registrar.

If you want to get married in an Anglican church, the marriage will be celebrated either by banns (the public announcement by the church that a marriage is going to take place) or by licence of the Dean.

Civil or non-religious marriages

Getting married in an Anglican church

Age restrictions on getting married

You must be over 16 to get married in Jersey.

If you're aged between 16 and 18, you'll need written consent from either your parents or guardians.

If they live in Jersey, they'll have to give their consent in the presence of the Superintendent Registrar. ​If they live outside Jersey, they'll need to fill out a form provided by the Superintendent Registrar.​

Getting married in Jersey if you're not a Jersey or UK citizen

If you're not a Jersey resident, you'll need to make arrangements to plan your civil or non-Anglican wedding here.

Arranging a wedding from outside Jersey

If you're not a UK citizen

If you (or your partner) aren't United Kingdom citizens, you need to make sure that the laws in your own country are observed so your marriage in Jersey is recognised in your own country.

You should seek the advice of the consul for your own country.

If you're a citizen outside the EU or EEA

If you're a citizen from outside the European Union or European Economic Area and you wish to marry a British citizen, you should make sure your immigration status allows you to marry.

You must also check that you have the necessary immigration clearance before coming to Jersey.

Requirements for non-EU / EEA nationals visiting Jersey

Getting a marriage licence 

Same-sex marriages in Jersey

Same sex couples can't get married in Jersey but can enter into a civil partnership.

Civil partnerships in Jersey: an introduction​​

Back to top
rating button