Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Public notice

Tax help desk and Treasury cashiers are moving offices to La Motte Street (Social Security) on the 22nd October

Name change checklist after marriage

​Social Security Department

To change your health card, you should call into the Social Security Department with the following:

  • your old health card
  • your original marriage certificate (or a certified copy)
  • photographic ID (ie driving licence or passport) 

Registration card

Call into the Social Security Department with the following:

  • your old registration card
  • your original marriage certificate (or a certified copy) 
  • photographic ID (ie driving licence or passport)


If you are receiving a benefit from the Social Security Department, it is important that you come in to see us with your original marriage certificate (or a certified copy) as soon as possible. We will then update your marital status and any change of name on our system.

If other circumstances, eg your living circumstances, have also changed, you may be asked to fill out the necessary forms.


The name on your passport should always match your legal name. So if your name changes, you need to get your passport amended to reflect this.

Changing a name in your passport

Income Tax

When you marry you should notify tax. Jersey income tax takes marital status into account when calculating your liability, and the allowances and exemption thresholds are different for a married couple.

We will need to see a certified photocopy of your marriage certificate.

Changes in circumstances (income tax)

Driving licence

If you have a driving licence, you will need to apply for a new one in your new name. You can do this in person at your parish hall. 

Take the following items with you:

  • a colour photograph
  • your current driving licence
  • your original marriage certificate (or a certified copy)

Vehicle registration document

If you own a vehicle, you will need to change your details on your vehicle registration document. 

Fill in your new name and, if necessary, your new address details, and sign box 1 on the reverse side of the document. 

Deliver your document to Driver and Vehicle Standards (DVS) at La Collette and a new document will be sent to you by post. 

There is no charge for this service.

Parish records

Even if you don't have a driving licence, you should notify your parish of any change of name.

You can do this by calling in at your parish hall with your original marriage certificate (or a certified copy). 

My Parish Online we​bsite 

Back to top
rating button