Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Bringing your vehicle to Jersey

​​​​Registering your vehicle in Jersey

If you intend to live or have been living in Jersey for more than 12 months you must register your motor vehicles immediately. There is no period of grace for driving in Jersey on foreign registration plates (Jersey residents cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle in the Island).

You must provide the following at Driver and Vehicle Standards (DVS) La Collette when you register your vehicle:

  • a Jersey driving licence (obtainable from your local Parish Hall)
  • a valid insurance certificate or cover note for your vehicle (fax copies or photocopies are not acceptable)
  • a Jersey customs import declaration. (not required where the person registering is a customs approved trader)
  • a valid registration certificate or export certificate (fax copies or photocopies are not acceptable)

Paying Customs and GST duties on an imported vehicle

If you move to Jersey from outside the Island and register the vehicle here, you may be liable for customs duty and / or Goods and Services Tax (GST).  Any applications for tax relief must be made at the appropriate time.

If you're applying for personal belongings / change of residence relief, you must make an application before or at the time you start living in Jersey.

If you're applying for secondary residence relief, you should make an application before or at the time the vehicle is imported.

Further guidance on GST reliefs can be found on the GST law, regulations and directions webpage.

What you need to bring

You should visit Jersey Customs at Customer and Local Services at La Motte Street to find out if the vehicle will incur any taxes.

You must bring with you:

  • photo ID (driving licence or passport)
  • registration document (usually V5C which must include CO2 for cars and CC for vans)
  • invoice for vehicle or a recent valuation​
  • ferry ticket for bringing the vehicle to Jersey

How much you will pay

If you import the vehicle from the EU, it will be liable to GST at 5% on it's value at import, including all freight charges and insurance costs.

If you import the vehicle from outside the EU, GST at 5% and customs duty must be paid. Customs duty is charged according to the type of goods and where they are imported from. You can find more information on the Business Link website.

In cases where duty or GST payment relief is granted, you will be liable for any relevant taxes if you sell, hire or otherwise transfer ownership of your vehicle within 12 months.

Contact us if you have any questions on +44 (0) 1534 448000.

Simplified tariff on imported goods

Vehicle emissions duty (VED)

Goods and services tax (GST)

Back to top
rating button