Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Registering your child's birth

​​​Who to register a birth with

You should register the birth of your child with the registrar of the parish in which they were born.

Your child's information will automatically be passed from the Maternity Unit to the Social Security Department, where they will create a record for your child and assign them a unique social security number (SSN).

You will be given your child's social security number when you go to register the birth with the Parish Registrar. 

The registrar will update your child's social security record with the correct details (eg your chosen names) and attach a copy of the birth certificate. You don't have to visit the Social Security Department.

Parish registrars

​Parish​Registrar contact details
​St BreladeRegistrar of St Brelade
​St ClementRegistrar of St Clement
​Grouville​Registrar of Grouville
​St HelierRegistrar of St Helier
​St JohnRegistrar of St John
​St LawrenceRegistrar of St Lawrence
​St MartinRegistrar of St Martin
​St MaryRegistrar of St Mary
​St OuenRegistrar of St Ouen
​St PeterRegistrar of St Peter
​St SaviourRegistrar of St Saviour
​TrinityRegistrar of Trinity

When and how to register a birth

If your baby is born in Jersey, you must register the birth with the parish registrar within 21 days.

You must take the following documents with you to the parish registrar:

  • marriage certificate (if you're currently married)
  • birth certificates or passports (if you're not married)
  • Divorce Decree Absolute papers (if you're not married)
  • deed poll papers (if you have any)
  • official translation of any documents (not including passports) if they are in a language other than English or French
It's your responsibility as the parents to register the birth of your child. If you're unable to register the birth, the responsibility falls to those who were present at the birth and whoever will be caring for the child.

Married parents registering​ a birth

If you're married, only one parent is required to register the birth. You'll need to bring your marriage certificate.

Unmarried parents registering a birth

If you're not married, both of you must be there to register the birth for the father's details to be entered into the register. 

If the father's details aren't entered at the time of registration, you can have them added at a later date.

Getting a birth certificate

Birth certificates are available in either standard form or short form.

A short form birth certificate is a basic document which shows a person’s name, date of birth and place of birth. Most official organisations will not accept short form certificates as evidence of identity but a short form certificate does have limited uses.

A standard form birth certificate contains more information, such as parents’ names and occupations and date and place of registration of birth. A standard birth certificate is required to support most official applications such as applying for a passport, to get married or to apply for probate.

Short form birth certificates and adoption certificates are available in English only.

You can get a birth certificate from the registrar of the parish where the baby was born.

A full birth certificate costs £30 and a shortened form birth certificate costs £10.


​You must register a stillbirth with the relevant parish within five days.

If the stillbirth occured in St Helier, you can book an appointment with the registrar by phoning +44 (0) 1534 811088.

You'll find contact details for all other parish registrars in the above document.

Late registration of birt​hs​ (after 21 days)

​If the birth isn't registered within 21 days, the birth must be registered in the presence of the Superintendent Registrar and the registrar of the parish in which the baby was born.

This is known as a late registration and you will have to pay a fee of £200.

You'll also need to give the Superintendent Registrar the reason for the delay in registering the birth.

Children born outside of Jersey​

If your baby is born outside of Jersey, you'll need to register the birth in the local jurisdiction.

You must bring back a birth certificate with you and bring this with you to the Social Security Department to register your child.

​How we share your child's information​​

The following departments will receive confirmation of your child's birth:

  • Child Health: so that your child's records can be updated on their system with the correct information and to make sure that they can contact you in the future, eg for child immunisations etc
  • Social Security Department: they will be notified of new births. If you receive Income Support, your claim will be updated. If you need any further services which require proof of your child's birth, then you won't need to provide copies of the birth certificate. However, you may need to complete further application forms for certain services
  • Taxes Office: they will receive confirmation of your child's birth,​ so you will not need to give them a copy of the birth certificate. You'll still need to contact them to discuss the allocation of child allowance

Other departments may be part of the process in the future.​

Download the data sharing agreement for registering new births (size 535kb)

Back to top
rating button