05 September 2008
Join the debate: leading local and international architects explore the role of architecture in
Internationally acclaimed architects and designers will be joining forces with local architects during Jersey Architecture Week, 8 – 12 September 2008. The Week, which culminates in the presentation of the Jersey Design Awards, highlights local architectural achievement and provides an opportunity for lslanders and practitioners alike to debate the impact of architecture on our lives and on our Island.
Architecture Week will include keynote speeches from, amongst others:
- Sunand Prasad, President of the Royal Institute of British Architects
- Will Alsop, a Stirling Prize winner dubbed “architecture’s Mr Blobby” for his riotous designs
- James Greaves, architect of the Esplanade Quarter
- Robert Adam, one of Europe’s leading classical architects
- Bruce McLean, renowned UK artist
- Robert Townshend, renowned landscape architect
Jersey Architecture Week is a bi-annual event organised by the Association of Jersey Architects (AJA) in partnership with the Planning and Environment Department. This year’s theme is Keeping Jersey Special.
The Minister of Planning and Environment, Senator Freddie Cohen said: “Since my appointment as Minister I have sought to significantly raise the standards of architecture in Jersey. Local architects have responded to this call and have delivered some wonderful schemes. Architecture Week provides us with an opportunity to celebrate local achievement whilst engaging with internationally acclaimed architects and designers to debate the future of our built environment and raising standards still further.”
Mike Waddington, President of the Association of Jersey Architects said: “Good, sustainable architecture is fundamentally important to keeping our Island special. Architecture Week provides an opportunity for members of the public to join the debate about the role that architecture will play in addressing some of our Island’s future environmental, social and economic challenges. This year’s event, which is supported by some of the leading lights in the architectural world, promises to be both stimulating and rewarding.”
Architecture Week 2008 includes:
- A programme of keynote speeches by leading architectural and design thinkers, running from 8- 12 September
- A pre-event lecture on 3 September
- Walking tours around St Helier, looking at the architecture and buildings that currently surround us
- An exhibition in the Weighbridge Square explaining and illustrating the architectural design process
- Sitting comfortably: a design competition aimed at encouraging children to design a cardboard chair
- The Jersey Design Awards presentation, recognising and celebrating the work of local architects
All the events, with the exception of the Jersey Design Awards presentation ceremony and the breakfast seminars are free to the public.
Architecture Week is sponsored by Dandara Jersey Ltd. Associate sponsors are Pentagon Builders Merchants and Currie and Brown UK Ltd, iQ and the JEC.
Full Programme of Events
For more information, please contact:
Brigadier Bruce Willing C.B.E., Jersey Architecture Week organiser
Mobile: 07797 712481