17 April 2008
The latest update on progress towards implementing the Strategic Plan shows that over three-quarters of initiatives have now been completed or are on track at 31 December 2007.
Welcoming the news, the Chief Minister Senator Frank Walker commented: “With over 230 initiatives underway or completed, the Strategic Plan is a massive undertaking. It is a real achievement that, two years on, nearly a quarter have now been completed and that over half are on track. A number of initiatives are being incorporated into wider policy development or are subject to policy changes and this is reflected in some 13 per cent of initiatives being slightly behind schedule with a further nine per cent seriously off track. These slippages are being closely monitored and every effort is being made to get them back on track. These should not detract from the excellent work that is being achieved across States departments to meet Strategic Plan commitments.”
Among the initiatives that have been completed or that are on track are:
Jersey’s international standing
- the signing of a protocol with the UK government, which supports further extension of the Island’s international
personality and independence of action
Training and skills
- plans for the formation of the Skills Executive to help promote home grown skills among 14 to 19 year olds, help the
unemployed return to work
- extension of the undergraduate internship programme to encourage the return of Jersey students
- new strategic partnership group to be established to advise Minister on future options for Early Years Strategy
- develop and implement a States of Jersey health improvement strategy – Health for Life
- project to complete the new Prison wing has commenced on time
- opening of the Learning and Skills Centre at the Prison in December 2007 and increasing prisoners access to
vocational and academic education
- introduction of a shared equity scheme for housing
- programme underway to bring States-owned housing stock up to UK ‘decent homes standard’ by 2016
- introduction of a unified Income Support system that supports people in terms of need and promotes work
Tax and finance
- establishment of a Stabilisation Fund
- phased reduction of tax allowances and reliefs for those with higher incomes in line with 20% means 20%.
Notes to Editors:
1. A copy of the progress report
at 31 December 2007 is available.
2. Following a suggestion from the Council of Ministers, for the first time the update includes a box indicating completed or deleted items (only one).
3. The initiatives are intended to ensure that the six commitments set out in the Strategic Plan are met. These are:
- maintaining and enhancing a strong, successful and environmentally sustainable economy
- creating the environment in which everyone in jersey has the opportunity to enjoy a good quality of life
- promoting a safe, just and equitable society
- maintaining and enhancing the natural and built environment
- creating a strong, recognised identity for Jersey and promoting a real sense of belonging
- ensuring that States services are necessary, efficient and of good quality.