15 January 2013
Figures released by the Economic Development Department show a year-on-year increase in job opportunities created, business licences granted and a wide range of industry sectors represented.
The figures show:
- 44 businesses granted licences, up from 41 in 2011 and 37 in 2010
- increase in job opportunities created, from 132 in 2011 to 428 in 2012
- 413 of the 428 jobs opportunities were for locally qualified candidates, with 10 of the 15 non-locally qualified opportunities being time limited
- of the 1,398 job opportunities created between June 2008 and June 2012, 819 have been filled, 88% with locally qualified people
- strong diversification in the businesses granted licenses, with six of the 44 from the mining, oil and gas sector, five from the IT sector and five from retail
- 14 of the 44 were finance related, which shows continued confidence in the sector
Locate Jersey team
The Minister for Economic Development, Senator Alan Maclean said "These figures confirm that our inward investment strategy is playing a key role in delivering economic growth and diversification at a time of ongoing economic pressure.
"They are also testament to the commitment and focus of our Locate Jersey team, who continue to facilitate the relocation of individuals and their business interests to the Island, in turn generating additional tax revenue and employment opportunities for local people."
The Locate Jersey team is being resourced to maximise the increasing inward investment opportunities and is confident of further success in the coming 12 months.
Inward investment figures
|% New enquiries
|Job opportunities created
|Locally qualified / Non -locally qualified
||241 / 10
||139 / 22
||432 / 38
||127 / 5
||413 / 15|