06 November 2019
Application forms are being sent today to all parents who registered for a Government school place for September 2020.
The form is also available online.
To have the best chance of getting a place at their first-choice school, parents need to return the form to their catchment school by Monday, 2 December 2019.
Parents can find out their catchment school by:
- looking at the map
- contacting their local primary school
- contacting the Department for Children, Young People, Education and Skills on 445504
- emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents may request up to three schools in order of choice. If a school is oversubscribed, priority will be given, in the order below, to children who:
- have a Special Educational Need and must access a specific school
- have brothers or sisters in the school (reception to Year 5)
- are living in the primary school catchment area
- are living in the secondary school catchment area
- have siblings in the school (Year 6)
- have other requests supported by a good educational reason for attending a non-catchment school
Primary schools will write to all parents at the end of January 2020 to offer places. Parents are asked to inform the school if they no longer need the place they have been offered.
Parents will not be offered a place in a Government primary school if they have registered for a place in a fee-paying school. This is so that parents who need a Government school place have the best chance of getting a place at their chosen school.
Under the Education (Jersey) Law Jersey 1999, children whose fourth birthday is between:
- 01 September 2019 and 31 December 2019 must start school at the beginning of the autumn term in 2020
- 01 January and 31 August 2020 may also start school at the beginning of the autumn term in 2020.
Children are of compulsory school age from the first day of the school term in which their fifth birthday falls.