Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Support for Islanders requiring assistance to return home

19 March 2020

​Islanders concerned about Jersey residents (holding British passports) who are currently overseas and may need UK consular assistance to return home, can contact the Government of Jersey’s External Relations department via at

The UK Government is responsible for providing consular services to all British nationals overseas, including British nationals who are resident in Jersey. This also extends to persons of dual nationality where they hold a British passport, even in cases where they are travelling under their other national passport.

External Relations is working with the UK’s Foreign & Commonwealth Office to ensure that consular staff in London, and in its network of overseas diplomatic missions, are aware of cases of Jersey residents who may require assistance.

Many countries are implementing travel restrictions in response to coronavirus (COVID-19). This is causing significant disruption to global travel. Members of the public who have been affected, or are concerned about relatives who have been affected, are strongly encouraged to follow UK travel advice on the FCO website and to register with the Consular Directorate at the FCO and with the local British diplomatic mission.

Those returning to Jersey will also need to comply with the Government of Jersey’s Coronavirus travel advice on self-isolation after overseas travel from affected countries.
Jersey residents who do not hold a British passport can, in the first instance, contact the relevant diplomatic mission in the country where they are located to seek assistance. Relatives of Jersey residents who do not hold a British passport can contact the relevant diplomatic mission in London. External Relations can offer further advice on this as required.

The Minister for External Relations, Senator Ian Gorst, said:

“This is an unprecedented situation that is causing a significant increase in requests for consular assistance worldwide. Officers from the Jersey External Relations team are already working with individuals and families who have been affected.

“External Relations has good channels of communication with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office for raising consular cases. Understandably, there will be Jersey residents who are looking to find routes to return to the Island. The UK authorities will explore all possible options to get British nationals home, but this will take time.

“I would strongly encourage everyone affected to follow UK travel advice and to register with the FCO Consular Directorate and the local British diplomatic mission. Non-British Jersey residents should contact the appropriate diplomatic mission in London or overseas. Anyone who has concerns or queries about affected individuals should contact External Relations via the departmental mailbox:”.

Back to top
rating button