10 March 2020
Government of Jersey managers have been asked to brief their teams on Coronavirus (COVID-19).
A ‘Manager Update’, sent to 990 managers, team leaders and HR officers explains the information they need to pass onto their teams and the preparations they should make in case staff need to work from home.
There are currently no confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Jersey and the Island’s health authorities are monitoring the situation closely. 84 people have been tested and have received negative results.
Manager Update: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
As Guernsey has announced the first confirmed case of coronavirus in the Channel Islands, we’re asking all managers to urgently call your team together for a mandatory briefing in the next 24 hours.
Points to be discussed are:
- The latest information can be found at gov.je/coronavirus. Please ask all team members to read the guidance thoroughly. As Guernsey has not been designated as an affected jurisdiction, advice on travel between the islands remains the same.
- Please discuss how to avoid catching or spreading coronavirus, using the points below:
- wash your hands with soap and water often, for at least 20 seconds
- always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- keep horizontal surfaces and touch points (like light switches) clean.
- Please ensure posters are displayed in your toilets and breakout spaces. Encourage team members to watch the video detailing the steps involved in thorough hand washing.
- Please ask team members to ensure they update their personal details and that you have their current contact details to hand, in case you need to ask them to self-isolate if anyone in your team displays symptoms.
- Please discuss how team members promptly report to you any absence from work or if any symptoms present.
- Please discuss how to self-isolate, using the guidance on gov.je/coronavirus.
- Please also discuss business continuity plans in your team if team members are unable to attend work and how you intend to cover operational needs in your area.
- For office-based teams, please tell any team members who have laptops to take them home each evening. Remind colleagues not to remove from your office any personal data that would break GDPR guidelines.
- Please consider whether you should request email access on personal devices for any members of your team who don't currently have suitable software installed. Please contact the Service Desk for such requests.
- For desk-based employees, please ensure that clear desk policies are enforced. All workplaces must be kept clean and tidy to allow for increased frequency of cleaning. Mugs and glasses must be put in dishwashers or washed up after use.
If any team members have symptoms of the virus, they must call the helpline on 445566. The line is open every day from 8am to 8pm. They should not visit their GP or the Emergency Department. If they’re very unwell and need an ambulance, they should phone 999 and tell them their symptoms and travel history.
More information and further guidance for managers will follow, as available.