Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Director of Public Health issues reassurance on monkeypox

19 May 2022

The Director of Public Health, Professor Peter Bradley, is reassuring Islanders that no cases of monkeypox have been identified in Jersey, after the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) confirmed 9 cases in England.

The virus, which was identified in England earlier this month, spreads through close contact between individuals. Recent cases in England have no travel links to a country where monkeypox is endemic, so it is possible that infection has been acquired through community transmission.

Director of Public Health, Professor Peter Bradley, said: "There has been discussion of monkeypox in the UK media within the last week, so I'd like to reassure Islanders that we do not have any confirmed cases of monkeypox in Jersey.

"Monkeypox is a viral infection which does not spread easily between people. The virus is usually a mild self-limiting illness, spread by very close contact with someone with monkeypox or contact with clothing or linens used by a person who has monkeypox. Most people recover within a few weeks, however, severe illness can occur in some individuals.

"Initial symptoms of monkeypox include fever, headache, muscle aches, backache, swollen lymph nodes, chills and exhaustion. A rash can develop, often beginning on the face, then spreading to other parts of the body including the genitals.

"Monkeypox has not been described as a sexually transmitted infection, although it can be passed on by direct contact during sex. While we do not have any cases in Jersey, it's prudent to remind Islanders to be alert to any unusual rashes or lesions on any part of their body, especially their genitalia. Any Islander who is concerned about a newly developed unusual rashes or lesions should contact their GP or the GUM (sexual health) clinic."

Back to top
rating button