What is an advertisement?
The law defines an advertisement as: “Any word, letter, model, sign, placard, board, notice, device or representation, whether illuminated or not, in the nature of and employed wholly or in part for the purposes of advertisement, announcement or direction, and includes any similar structure used or adapted for use for the display of advertisements."
Advertisements may include:
- business signs
- signs not on the land to which they relate (advanced directional signs)
- sandwich boards and placards
- notices and posters
- flags (but not national flags)
- window stickers
- estate agents boards
- traffic signs
- hoardings (either stand alone or enclosing land)
- pole signs and totems, and
- may also include blinds and canopies if these are used to display an advert
Signs and advertisements - SPG practice note 20