Historic environment review
Between late 2010 and early 2013, the heritage value of nearly 4,500 sites in Jersey has been assessed to see if their special interest warrants recognition and protection. This has involved a survey of all known heritage assets and the identification of those that might have some heritage potential, including:
- about 3,500 buildings, including houses, shops and other commercial premises; and
- about 1,000 sites comprising military and maritime structures, churches, street furniture and archaeological sites
This work was undertaken by a team of historic building surveyors managed by Jersey Heritage on behalf of the Department of the Environment, and the assessment showed:
- approximately 97% of the sites surveyed already enjoyed some form of heritage designation
- the remaining 3% were assessed for the first time and included new areas of study such as post-1945 architecture; designed landscapes; and historic post boxes
Owners were engaged in the survey phase of the review and nearly 1,000 building interiors have been assessed.
Progress and outcomes
Jersey Heritage has completed heritage assessments of over 4,000 cases. Its advice is now being acted upon by the Department of the Environment which is progressing the formal listing process.
At the end of September 2017, the heritage status of nearly 4,000 building and places has been determined and it is envisaged that the review of most of the Island’s heritage assets will have been completed by the end of 2017, or early 2018.
At a parochial level the eastern parishes of St. Clement, Grouville and St. Martin are essentially concluded, along with St. Saviour, St. Mary, Trinity and St. Lawrence. Outstanding cases here include ecclesiastical and archaeological sites. Good progress is being maintained in St. Helier too: is particularly important given the high proportion of potential heritage assets (c.40% of the Island total) here and the relatively high level of development pressure: under 10% cases (about 220) remain pending.
The current focus of activity is in the western parishes, where under 20% of remaining historic buildings and places remain to have their heritage status determined in St. Ouen and St. Peter. In St. Brelade and St. John, around 50% of buildings and places are still progressing through the listing process, but this should be mostly completed by the end of the year.
Of those cases completed at the end of September 2017, 8% (over 300) of buildings and places assessed have either been removed from the list or not added to it because they did not have sufficient interest to warrant listing.
Of all of those cases reviewed, over 3,600 have been listed so far:
- c.3% are at Grade 1
- c.9% are at Grade 2
- 55% are at Grade 3
- 33% are at Grade 4
More than ever before, those special buildings and places that make up Jersey’s historic environment are enjoying the protection that they need and deserve. Some notable examples listed during the last quarter include the following.
- Les Landes South (OU0091) – Part of an integrated network of German defensive structures constructed in Jersey during the Second World War, more widely part of the Atlantic Wall. The artillery battery Moltke was one of several installed in early 1941. This particular battery was at first equipped with 4 elderly French field guns. Intended to be temporary until they could be replaced by quick firing 15cm guns mounted in sunken emplacements. The modern guns were never installed but the emplacements and extensive subterranean passages and bunkers were all constructed and is one of the most complete battery remaining.
Les Landes, historic environmental detail
- Lager Wick forced labour camp (GR0272) – During the German occupation of the Channel Islands, a number of forced and slave labour camps were erected to intern the thousands of imported labourers brought to the islands by the Organisation Todt (OT) to build the concrete bunkers of the Atlantic Wall. Lager Wick was a forced labour camp housing Spanish Republicans, Frenchmen and North Africans. It was built in February 1942 and abandoned in 1944.
The workers at Lager Wick were employed at the local quarry at Les Maltières, from where the stone was taken to a nearby stone crushing plant. Sand was also gathered from Grouville Bay for use in the concrete fortifications. Three barrack blocks at the camp burned down in April 1944 and Lager Wick was finally abandoned six weeks later, after which the huts were dismantled for firewood.
Some physical traces of the camp remain and have been revealed through the archaeological investigations, including the concrete entrance gateposts (each just over 270cm tall and topped by a plinth and pyramidal cap) and iron posts along the perimeter (all with remnants of barbed wire attached).
Lager Wick, historic environmental detail
- Gateway to St. Mary’s New Cemetery (MY0122) – made in the 1880s in London, this large, elaborate wrought iron gateway frames the entrance to the new cemetery opposite the ancient parish church.
Gateway to St. Mary’s New Cemetery, historic environmental detail
- Old Fire Station, Nelson Street (HE0629) – the former fire station, built in 1921, in a neo-Georgian style
Old Fire Station, historic environmnetal detail