Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Wood burning / multi-fuel stoves (permissions)

​Planning permission

You do not require planning permission to install a solid fuel (coal or wood) domestic heating appliance, provided that:

  • your property is not registered as a listed building or place (LBP) or a potential listed building or place (pLBP)
  • you are not introducing a new external flue / chimney
  • you are not altering the appearance, size or placement of any existing flue / chimney

Note: Some domestic flues, chimneys and vents do not require planning permission.  See separate page "Domestic gas and oil fired boilers, vents and flues"

Domestic gas and oil fired boilers, vents and flues
Is my building or site protected?

Building permission

You will not require building permission to install a woodburning or multi-fuel stove provided the work is undertaken by a HETAS registered technician (Heating Equipment Testing and Approval Scheme).

HETAS members are approved to certify that their work meets building regulations and they will issue a certificate to confirm the appliance has been installed in accordance with the building bye-laws.

Copies of the certificate must be provided to:

  • the householder
  • the competent persons scheme operator
  • the building control department

A list of currently registered engineers is available on the HETAS Ltd website.

HETAS website

What if I want to use a non-registered installer to undertake the work?

If you employ an installer who is not registered with HETAS, you will need to make a building application. Guidance on how to comply with the relevant bye-law requirements can be found in Combustion appliances approved document J.

Technical guidance document 3 (2011 edition

B4 solid fuel fire, stove and​ heating boiler application form

Back to top
rating button