Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

2021 tax allowances and reliefs

Tax calculator

Use the tax calculator to find out how tax works and get an idea of how much tax you'll pay.

Tax calculator

​Tax rate

​Standard rate
​Marginal relief
​All income liable to Jersey tax less allowable expenses and pension contributions charged at 20% 
​All income liable to Jersey tax less allowable expenses, pension contributions and your tax exemption threshold charged at 26%
​You will pay tax at the lower of the two calculations which means that your tax rate, depending on your income, will be between 0% and 20% (max).​

Tax exemption thresholds

​Exemption thresholds
​Married or civil partnership
​Married or civil partnership (born before 1952)
You don't pay tax if your annual income is below these thresholds and they are also used to calculate marginal relief.

​Additions to exemption thresholds​
​Second earner's allowance
​Child (see note 1)
​£3,060 (per child)
​Additional allowance in respect of children (see note 2)
​Standard child care tax relief (see note 3)
​Higher child care tax relief (pre-school children)
​Loan interest relief for main Jersey residence (see note 4)
​£7,500 (max)
​These increase the amount of income you can have before you pay tax and are also used to calculate marginal relief.​

Benefit in kind

​Benefit in kind deduction
​A maximum deduction of £250 against the total of all benefits in the year, of an employee or office holder

Retirement annuity relief

​Deductions for your pension contributions
​The combined total paid into all pension schemes in the year of assessment whichever is the lower of:

  1. total pension contribution(s)
  2. £50,000 less any excess
  3. relevant earnings less any excess

​Paying into an approved pension scheme is a deduction from your earnings both at the standard rate and using the marginal relief calculation of tax. Deductions are given for tax approved schemes only.

Claiming a tax deduction for your pension contributions

Flat rate expenses

​Motor expenses
​Flat rate per mile
​Motor expenses can only be claimed if you use your vehicle for work purposes. Mileage can't be claimed for commuting to and from work. Make sure you keep a record of your mileage as evidence for your claim. ​


1. Children

A claim can be made for your child if they are under the age of 16, or if over the age of 16 was receiving full-time instruction at any school.

Receiving full time education at any school doesn't include receiving higher education within the meaning of the Education (Jersey) Law 1999, for example degrees or courses in preparation for professional examination at a higher level.

Therefore you cannot claim this allowance for a child in higher education, but you may be able to get a grant from student finance.

You may still be able to claim additional allowance.

Children and tax relief

Who can get student finance

2. Additional allowance for children

This allowance is only due if either:

  • you're not entitled to the married or civil partnership exemption threshold
  • you're entitled to the married or civil partnership exemption threshold and you wholly maintain your spouse or civil partner who is totally incapacitated by physical or mental infirmity

Your dependent child must be under the age of 25 on 31 August in the year of assessment.

If your child is 16 year or over at the start of the year, they must have been in full time instruction at any school or in full time higher education, for example a degree course or equivalent.

If your child is in full time higher education, they must be a dependent student as defined by student finance.

3. Child care tax relief

You must be entitled to claim tax relief for a child and be making the payments yourself to a registered child care provider for that child.

Increase in tax exemption for child day care 

4. Loan interest relief for main Jersey residence

Interest relief for your home is still available but it's being phased out.

Interest tax relief

Back to top
rating button