Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Riding a motorbike or moped on the road as a learner

​​Before you can legally ride a motorcycle or moped on the road, you must:

  • be over 16 years of age to ride a moped
  • be over 17 years of age to ride a light motorcycle
  • be over 18 years of age to ride a heavy motorcycle 
  • complete the compulsory basic training (CBT) course 
  • get a provisional licence 

Attending and completing the CBT course

The CBT course is not an exam. It is a course of training that you are required to complete satisfactorily. You must complete the course even if you already have a CBT certificate from the UK or Guernsey.

The course is conducted at weekends by the Jersey School of Motorcycling. You can book a course by completing an application form. These are available from: 

  • parish halls
  • all motorcycle dealers
  • using the link below

Compulsory basic training (CBT)

Jersey School of Motorcycling website

Getting a provisional licence

 You must apply for your provisional licence at your local parish hall. You will need: 

  • to complete an application form (available from the parish hall)
  • 1 passport sized photograph
  • the licence fee £30

The provisional licence is available for the following categories of vehicle:

  • moped (P)
  • light motorcycle (A1)
  • heavy motorcycle (A)

If you are applying for categories P or A1 your provisional licence will not be valid until you have successfully completed the CBT course.

If you are applying for category A, you must have held a full licence for category A1 for at least 12 months. Also, if your application is following a period of disqualification, you will require a CBT certificate before you are entitled to ride on the road.

Your provisional licence is valid for six months from the date of issue. You must attempt a driving test before your provisional licence expires or you may not be able to renew it for one year (this will also affect any application for a car licence).

Riding on the road as a learner rider

When you have completed the CBT course and have your provisional licence, you are able to ride on the road.

When riding on the road, you should make sure that you have:

  • your provisional licence
  • your CBT Certificate
  • a valid insurance disc displayed on the vehicle
  • an 'L' learner plate integrally displayed as part of the rear number plate
  • fully operational direction indicators
  • a brake light that operates with the front brake and the rear brake
  • an approved crash helmet

You should also wear bright protective clothing, such as gloves, boots and a motorcycle jacket.

Learner riders are not allowed to carry passengers.

Getting a full licence

To get a full licence, you must pass both a driving theory test and a practical driving test. You must attempt a theory test before your provisional licence expires or you may not be unable to renew it for one year. 

Practical driving test for motorcycle / moped riders
Driving theory tests

Jersey Highway Code (size 372kb)

Back to top
rating button