Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Changing a name in your passport

​​​​​​When to change the name in your passport

If your name changes you must get your passport changed. The name on your passport must be your legal name.

If you are travelling soon after getting married

If you are travelling abroad soon after getting married, we recommend that you book you​r trip in your current name and wait until you return to apply for your new passport. If you have booked your trip in your new name, contact us for advice.

Applying to change the name in your passport

If you need to change the name in your passport, you must complete a passport application form. You can collect a form from Customer and Local Services at La Motte Street, Maritime House or any parish hall or post office.

You must provide certain documents when you apply to change your name. The documents we need to see will depend on why or how you change your name, you’ll find details on this page.

The application form, cost and processing time is the same as for renewing your passport.

Marriage or civil partnership and changing your name

There is no legal requirement to take your partner’s name, but if you choose to then you must use that name on your passport (and for all other official purposes).

If you change your name through marriage or civil partnership, you must include your marriage or civil partnership certificate with your passport application.

Going back to your maiden or unmarried name

If you have gone back to your maiden (unmarried) name, you must include the following with your passport application:

  • your full birth certificate, or decree absolute if it shows the link between your present name and your maiden name
  • a signed statement from you, saying that you have gone back to your maiden name and that you will use this name for all purposes

Changing your name by deed poll

If you change your name for any other reason, you must provide your original change of name deed (deed poll) and statutory declaration with your passport application.

If you have changed your name more than once, we may ask to see evidence of all changes.

If you have a non-British passport

If you have dual citizenship (‘dual nationality’) and have a non-British passport, the name on your non-British passport must match the name and gender you want on your British passport.

If it doesn’t, change the details on your non-British passport before you apply for a new British passport.

Back to top
rating button