Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Applying to become a British citizen

​​​​Naturalisation and registration applications

Jersey Customs and Immigration Service deal with all naturalisation and registration applications for Jersey residents.

The British Government is responsible for the laws covering British citizenship through the British Nationality Act 1981 (BNA) which applies to Jersey.

You need to meet certain rules before you can apply. These are available on the GOV.UK website. This guidance also applies to applications made in Jersey.

Becoming a British citizen by naturalisation or registration on GOV.UK website      

Apply for naturalisation

You can apply for naturalisation if you’ve lived in the United Kingdom (UK) or Islands for five years or more, or are married to a British citizen and have lived in the UK or Islands for three years or more.

You must also have passed the Citizenship Test and meet the English language requirement.​

​You can get a naturalisation pack from the Passport Office at Mariti​me House or download it below.  This pack explains what you'll need to send​ with your application.

Your application may take up to six months from the date we receive your form.

Citizenship test and english language requirements​​

Application and guide for naturalisation as British Citizen: Form AN on GOV.UK website

Download the naturalisation pack - Jersey forms (size 392kb)

Cost of naturalisation

To find out how much naturalisation costs below.

Immigration and nationality fees​


Registration is where someone can gain British citizenship, or other British nationality status.

It is only available if you have connections to the UK or Islands, the British Overseas Territories, or Hong Kong.

Apply for registration

You can collect an application form for registration from the Passport Office at Maritime House or you can download it.

Your application may take​ up to three months from the date we receive your form.

​Application to register child under 18 as British citizen: form MN1 on the GOV.UK website​

Download Adult Police Check Registration form (size 149kb)

Download Child Police Check Registration form (size 150kb)

Download Referee Police check Registration form (size 150kb)

​Cost of reg​​istration

You can find out about registration ​costs below.

Immigration and nationality fees​

Proof that you’re not a British citizen

To get a passport in another country, you may need proof that you’re not a British citizen by registration or naturalisation in the UK. You can get this​ proof by applying to the Home Office.

You should download and print form NQ below. You must complete both parts of the form and send the completed form, fee and payment slip to:

Home Office
PO Box 306
Dept 101
L2 0QN​

Download proof that you're not a British citizen (NQ) form (size 96kb)

Back to top
rating button